Spa 'aromatherapy' crystals, etc... Does this mess up my spa

Mar 26, 2008
Houston
So, I've been poolless for a little over a year, moving into a new house, but we just had a new pool built, with a spa (which I didn't have before).

Anyway, I was on the poolgeek website, and they sell a bunch of 'armoatherapy' solutions and crystals to add to your spa. Smells nice, all that stuff. I figure my wife might like this, and it would be cool thing to try. Anyone know how much it will mess with my chemistry? I don't want to add anything that's going to cause me a bunch of effort getting my pool straightened out.

(Current setup is saltwater, if that makes a difference).

Re: Spa 'aromatherapy' crystals, etc... Does this mess up my

I would recommend against it. For one thing, the smell will reduce your ability to detect problems.
Ideal for masking those unwanted chemical odors
http://www.insparation.com/
In properly sanitized and balanced water, there is no smell. Any smell will alert you to a problem. Also, if the additive contains oils, then it will cause unnecessary contamination of the water. I would recommend using aromatherapy products that don't need to be added to the water.

Re: Spa 'aromatherapy' crystals, etc... Does this mess up my

Well, I'm not too worried about not detecting a problem (and not looking to use these to mask anything - thanks to this place, my pool tends to run pretty well). I don't expect this stuff hangs around for ever - I'm figuring on a day at best. If the pool doesn't smell before I get in, and these things seem fun, and the smell is gone in a day I think it'd be fun.

Unnecessary contamination sounds like a more legit risk. That's what I'm worried about. I don't want an oil sheen, or a bunch of Crud clogging up my filter system, or ruining the pool in some other way. I'm just wondering if anyone knew specifically if these would be ok, or mess me up in some way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.