pH Test - 5 drops or 4?

phalcon51

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2010
So. California
Recently the color of my pH samples has gotten more intense and it makes it difficult to accurately determine what the proper color match is on my Taylor test kit. Nothing has changed in the chemicals I'm using however the water temp has gone from 74 deg. to 64 deg. in the last 12 days. I've found that if I only use four drops of solution I get a much more accurate color reading than if I use 5 drops. Is this still accurate? Can water temperature affect the color this way?

Below are a couple of pictures demonstrating the difference.

Thanks,

Gary

5 drops
IMG_0007.jpg

4 drops
IMG_0005.jpg

The color with 5 drops looks fine. I would say right at about a pH of 7.4 to 7.5. You should use 5 drops. You could get a new bottle of the pH reagent to compare drop size and sample color.

The color is the same, regardless of how many drops you use. What varies with the number of drops is the saturation of the color. For some people, using four drops works better, for other people using six drops works better. Whatever works for you is good, the reading should be the same regardless, only the ease of matching the color really varies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.