Adding DE to the filter

carlscan26

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
San Diego, CA
I don't have a skimmer with a top opening so adding DE to recharge the filter always results in a bunch of DE floating in the pool and on the pool floor.

Is there anything wrong with adding the DE slurry inside the filter since I already have it open for cleaning the grids/cartridges (With the grids back in place of course)?

That will work but probably not as well. There are bleeder valves on earth filters to make sure the tank is completely filled with water so the DE can get to all the grid surfaces. Maybe you could try mixing a slurry of DE and water in a 5 gallon bucket and submerge (partially) that into the pool and then use your vacuum hose to suck the slurry out of the bucket. I really can't think of any easy way of doing it if you don't have easy access to the skimmer. Can you take a picture of your setup? I might be able to figure out some other kind of solution.

Could you make a slurry in a plastic container (5 gal sheet rock bucket?), place the container on the deck, and then let it siphon into the skimmer with something like a 3/8 or 1/2" clear hose?

PoolGuyNJ said:
How do you clean out the skimmer baskets?

Scott

It's a total pain! :rant: You have to lower the weir or take it off and reach in and grab a tab on the front of the basket. Then lift the basket vertically and pull it out. Supposedly you can do it without taking the weir off (according to the sticker on the weir anyway) but I always end up knocking it off if I don't remove it. You can't see what's in the basket easily - I've gone to pull it out and grabbed a dead bird :shock: and a dead lizard - more reasons to take the weir off.

duraleigh said:
Could you make a slurry in a plastic container (5 gal sheet rock bucket?), place the container on the deck, and then let it siphon into the skimmer with something like a 3/8 or 1/2" clear hose?

I've been mixing it in a 5 gal bucket and then trying to pour it super slowly in front of the skimmer so as much of it gets sucked up as possible...the siphon sounds like a great idea :idea: Now why didn't I think of that? :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.