Pool crisis - what do I do now?

Jun 3, 2008
So, one of the pipes on our filter came apart and was spewing water. The water level dropped, and now the liner is all jacked up. The water level didn't seem *that* low, so I don't know if that's why the liner got jacked up, or if something else happened.

I hate, hate, hate this pool with a passion that I cannot even begin to describe. I have no idea what to do next. I guess I have a few questions.

What should I do with the pool right now? Obviously, we turned the pump off. Can I just cover the dang thing with a winter cover for the season and deal with it in the spring? Will that winter cover keep it from freezing and giving me more problems? I'm in So. Oregon, and it can get cold overnight in the winter, but we don't usually have extreme weather, lots of snow, etc. If I have to deal with it now, what exactly should I do?

Second, has anyone ever removed/filled in a pool? Is there a direction you can point me in for that? What do you think is the cost difference between getting a new liner and taking the pool out completely? Best case scenario, I would prefer grass there, but I have to keep cost in mind.

Thank you for any insight you can provide! I am just frustrated as all get out right now.

ETA: Mods, if I've put this message in the wrong place, feel free to move it. I wasn't sure where was most appropriate.

Your description is not very thorough, but it sounds like your liner floated when the water level went below the ground water table level. If that is what happened, it is often possible to get things back in place, but it depends on how old the liner is and how far out of place it has moved. Older liners are less inclined to go back into place without tearing and obviously it is easier to get the liner back into place if it hasn't moved very much.

It typically costs about the same to get a new liner installed as it costs to fill in the pool, though that varies a fair bit depending on local prices and local rules about how thoroughly it needs to be cleaned up when being removed.

Thank you for your reply, Jason. I think that's exactly what happened to the liner. Would it be best to try to get it repaired now, even though it's cold out and the liner isn't as pliable? Or wait until it warms up in the spring? I'm not sure how old the liner is - at least 4.5 years old, as that's how long we've had the house.

If the liner is already torn, I would wait until spring and then replace it. If the liner is currently intact and hadn't moved too far horizontally along the floor, I would try to get it back into place now. If it is intact and has moved significantly horizontally along the floor I would consult with a professional and see what they recommend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.