New Pool Test Results - Advise Please?

Nov 4, 2011
Atascocita, Texas
Just completed a new pool and it was filled with water 3 weeks ago. Having been testing (Taylor K-2006) and following BBB for about a week. Plaster company came back out this week and repaired plaster - lowering pool water level about 8 inches and refilling. Below are my test results

23,000 IG gunite pool, standard plaster
68 degrees
FC 3
pH 8, was 7.2 before plaster was repaired
TA 160
CH 140
CYA 28? a little less than 30

I am decreasing pH again and will work to increase CYA (40?) and CH (260?). Let me know your thoughts and advice on these results and target given the new pool. Thanks in advance for your help.

Rawlins

You want to keep the PH below 8 if you possibly can. It will tend to go up on it's own as the plaster continues to cure. Your TA is also fairly high, so I would be more aggressive about keeping the PH below 7.5 until the TA gets down to 100 or lower (which will take a while).

Depending on when you are planning to close and what you are using as a chlorine source, there may not be any need to raise CYA. If you are closing fairly soon or if you are using trichlor as a chlorine source there is no need to raise CYA. If you are staying open for a while and not using trichlor, then bumping CYA up a little is a great idea.

The CH level will tend to go up slowly as the plaster cures, so you don't want to raise it very much. Still, raising CH a little is a good idea. I would only raise it to perhaps 200 for now and wait a while to see how it changes before adjusting it further.

With plaster applied in the fall it is best to keep the pool open as long as possible and to open as early in the spring as possible. Closing sooner and opening later risks an increased chance of calcium scaling over the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.