Late Season, brand new pool...

Oct 29, 2011
Our pool has just been completed! Late in the season (upstate NY), but this is good in some ways... It's a liner-based inground, kidney shaped and 14x28, 6.5 deep end. We also got an Aquacal heat pump. The company will be back in a week to install the saftey cover and close the pool.

So, we are working away to keep it clean of leaves and debris in the meantime. Would I be crazy to fire up the heat pump for a few days? Temps are supposed to be mid-50's to mid-60's over the weekend. The solar cover provided is still in a box (and not trimmed) so we would not have it covered... Lows at night are high 30's to low 40's.

Water temp is now 50, and as I understand heatpumps it would be slow to heat the pool...

Thoughts?

It did turn on and is running. But understand the lower the outdoor temp, the less effective. I think the manual says minimum outdoor temp of 48 degreess believe it or not.

But if it's only going to increase the pool temp 1 degree per day, I'll shut it down.

Our pool was done right before Columbus weekend. It was cool in NJ during the week but the weekend was predicted to be very warm. We turned up the heater and had two days of great swimming. We have a heat pump and it did a great job. The water got into the high 80's and we really enjoyed the two days. Now it will get closed as soon as the concrete can be drilled into for the loop lock cover.

I think it was great to just get a day or two to break in the pool. I don't regret having to run the heater to really warm up the water. The kids had so much fun and everyone is excited for the spring. It made all the mess worth it.

I hope you get at least a day or two in before you close.

mbear2k said:
It did turn on and is running. But understand the lower the outdoor temp, the less effective. I think the manual says minimum outdoor temp of 48 degreess believe it or not.

But if it's only going to increase the pool temp 1 degree per day, I'll shut it down.

Also a new build just opened in southern OH. We were able to raise our water from 65 to 80 degrees in about 15 hours. We have a solar cover and a 400K heater. Pool is about 36,000 gallons. Pool is maintaining 61 degrees now with solar cover on and heater off.

If you want to try to heat it you will need to put on the solar cover. The heat pump will never be able to recover the heat loss especially at night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.