High TA a bad thing?

Oct 30, 2011
South Louisiana
After having an algae /cloudy pool problem almost all summer, I have finally used pool school to start getting ahead of the problem. Thanks to this site as I was about to give up on the pool and take it down for good. The question I have is that I am lowering TA from 100 to the recommended 60-80 for a SWG pool. I read in the SWG pool chemistry section that this is important. I was just wondering what causes high TA to be a bad thing. Could it inhibit Cl production or limit its effectiveness. Just wondering. Thanks for the replies.

Welcome to TFP!

With a SWG, or other source of areation, medium and higher TA levels tend to make the PH rise very quickly. If you don't keep an close eye on that kind of situation it can quickly lead to a variety of problems, for example calcium scaling.

Yes, it certainly could have something to do with the scale buildup. Scale depends on several factors, PH, TA, CH, etc. PH has the largest effect, so if PH and TA are both fairly high it is very easy to have scaling problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.