Theromstat Adjuster on Pentair Master Temp - going out?

Jul 19, 2007
Katy, TX
My pool is less than 5 yrs old and it appears the thormostat adjuster has gone out for the 2nd time. My pool fill was March '07. It went out Sept. '09 and now appears to be out again. This is our first pool, is this typical? Our pool equipment is no longer under warranty, is this an expensive fix? Thanks so very much.

Also, just a brief description of what is going on. turn heater on for spa and it heater for a couple minutes then goes off. Then tuns back on and goes back off (never reaching the desired temp.). The red service heater comes on. This is what happened in '09 and they stated that the therm. adjuster was out and needed to be replaced. Thanks!

Personally I think the Mastertemp's are garbage but that's my personal opinion. However I love them because they provide me lots of work with as bad as they are. Find someone that services gas pool heaters and just have them go thru everything on the heater to make sure there isn't something else causing the issues.

It sounds like the thermal bypass (77707-0010 kit) may have gone out (again). Remove, and check for cracks (green) on the bulb (copper or brass colored component).

I sell them for, i think around 70 dollars. You can probably get them online for 1/2 that.

Thermal Regulator alone: 38000-0007S

Thanks pool clown. I am assuming you are stating we could do this ourselves? I will show to the Mr. as he is very handy. It would be awsome if we could replace by ourselves since I can only imagine that the leak is going to cost us $$$$$ ...ugh! Thanks again!

Location of therm B/P
101_4839.jpg

Best way to access the part.
101_4846.jpg

You're looking for damage to the brown colored component shown here...
101_4843.jpg

When you replace this one, be sure that you get one that has a stainless steel sleeve the goes around the bulb. The one pictured above does not have this.

+1 on watching the chems. The sleeve should help the bulb from being affected by chemistry.

Pool Clown - you rock! Thanks for pics and instructions. A co. just came out and quoted me almost 200.00 to replace the thermal regulator. This same company replaced it the last time when it was under warranty and when he went to look at it, he could not find it. Turns out it was loose and is the pipes.... and he says to me "I have never seen this before, I wonder how this happened?" Had to bite my tongue that they replaced it last time. Anyway, he put it back in and says it may work now as he felt there was just a little corrosion. No matter, if it works great. If not ...thanks to Pool Clown, I get buy one for under 50 bucks.

Now as for the SS sleeve, is there a certain name for that? Thanks again for all your help, it is very much appreciated!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.