Use winter plug with air connection to compressor

Jul 21, 2011
Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone knew how I could convert a winter plug so that it could be connected to an air compressor.

Winterization-Plug-for-Swimming-Pool.jpg

I think this would be ideal to just put it in your line tighten it down and then connect the air compressor to it to blow out the line, just not sure of all the parts I would need to make it work.

Probably better to make a PVC fitting to screw in to do it. It would be very hard to mount a Schrader on a rubber plug, but easy on a PVC cap.

If you blow it from a return line, the line you have the air hose on will fill back up with water once you remove the plug. Doing it from the pool end from a return would require draining the water below the returns. Usually, if you blow from the pool, you blow from the skimmer.
It's much easier to blow from the pump end if you blowing the returns wet.

I live in Canada where we get a hard freeze in the winter so I drain below the returns. When I add my anti-freeze to the lines I like to blow both ways till I see a little bit come out each end, this just gives me confidence that I have the anti-freeze distributed throughout the whole line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't recall who the manufacturer of the in floor cleaning system was but it was a 20 year old pool right outside DC in Northern Virginia. The caretaker head (In Floor Pop-up head system) had a trapezoid shaped expansion plugs with stem valve...I could never get them to seal.....ugh

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.