Help needed with electrical

Mugs

Jun 4, 2010
Hi all,

Currently(pun intended) employing the services of an electrician to provide power to my pool equipment and would like to ask for opinions on how things should be done.

I dont have much experience but can't help but think its being overcomplicated...

UK based if that makes much difference :)

What I want is a tail taken from the line in from the house before it hits my consumer unit with a switch inside next to the rest of my gear so i can turn things off from inside the house.
I then need an armoured cable run from that point to the equipment house into an external consumer unit which will provide power to 3 units(at the moment)

A water pump (3A)
A Heat pump (10A peak)
A fastlane swim unit (21ish A)

I also specified an emergency stop button which cuts power to the consumer unit.

As of right now he has the cable in with it connected to a spare 40A rcd in my consumer unit, leading to a switch outside the water pump and heat pump run of a 6a rcd and 16A rcd and the fastlane is on a 25A mcb.

The emergency stop button is looped through a contactor which stops the power when its hit.

Now the issue here that I can see is there is no RCD protection on the fastlane :-/

Also the contactor when re energising trips the 6 and 16A rcd's which in turn occasionally trip the main unit in the house which I cant have given the computer equipment i have running most of the time.

How would you guys connect this stuff up ? try and keep it simple simon ;-)

thanks for reading !

Pete

Not sure you will get much hlep here. While there are similarities, wiring in the UK is different than in the US. A consumer unit is what we would call a breaker box here. An RCD is the same as a GFCI here. Also, im not sure what you mean by taking a "tail" before your consumer unit. In the US, a line would be pulled from the breaker box out to an outdoor subpanel in some cases, but never before the breaker box.

Trust your electrician to get things right. He knows more about wiring and codes in the UK.

I hear you :)

The main problem I have is he has used a MCB for the hydraulic pump, these do not perform the same as a RCD (GFCI) which trip at 30ms the MCB depending on the one he used go from 0.4sec to 5secs and are for overload protection not monitoring the neutral live loading.

By tail I mean he bypasses the main consumer units RCD effectively running a line from before the RCD but after the power companies meter/fuse.

thanks
Pete

For safety I would think the line from the house to the pool house would HAVE to be protected on the house side by a breaker (mcb?).

This would de-energize the line itself in the event it was inadvertently shovel led into or some such. Why would you want to not have that? Here in the US it would be a requirement, and no one would want to circumvent that.

Good point, I'll bring that to his attention when i see him next.

thanks

Lershac said:
For safety I would think the line from the house to the pool house would HAVE to be protected on the house side by a breaker (mcb?).

This would de-energize the line itself in the event it was inadvertently shovel led into or some such. Why would you want to not have that? Here in the US it would be a requirement, and no one would want to circumvent that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.