ascorbic acid vs stains results

goyom

Mar 30, 2010
Hi all, recently started to notice that all my plastic plastic parts in our pool and our polaris were taking on a dull yellow/brown discoloration.
Most notable on the skimmer baskets and baskets in the main pump and water feature pump.

So I took the water to a lab, not a pool store and found that we had a small amount of copper and iron, and a good amount of manganese.
Which is not a surprise since our whole house water filter turns brown within a week of a fresh filter install.

The plastic stained the most are the skimmer baskets and basket in the main pump.

I took out the pump baskets and dipped one in the ascorbic acid last night. It worked great, within 10 seconds it was pure white again.

I plan on treating the pool and adding the sequesterant this weekend.

I have three question I hope someone can help with:
1. should I put cellulose in the pool to help the cartridge filters catch the chelated metals?
Or is that just a myth? I am guessing the metals are too small to be caught in the cartridge filter even with the cellulose ?

2. Would it be wise to start filling the pool from my whole house water filter/softner setup in lieu of the outside non filtered hose spicket ?

3. Since the ascorbic acid worked on the baskets, is my issue most likely iron or manganese? It is my understanding that if it were copper it would have a different affect on the baskets ?

Thanks much, this forum is fantastic.

Attachments

• photo7.jpg
    photo7.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 131
1) I don't think the cellulose will help.
2) I would use it to maintain the level but I probably would have water trucked in from a metal free source for a complete fill.
3) Since the AA worked so well it's most likely iron.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.