Using up old 12% liquid shock

tltmom

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Urbana, IL
Getting ready to close soon. Water is in low 50's so I'm turning off the swg and will use liquid shock for Cl until close. Can I use older gallons of shock purchased in August or should I get new? I read in pool school that older bottles of Cl may be lower in concentration, but is there any other problem with using it up? Also, if I do need to get new Cl how should I dispose safely of the old bottles?
Thank you

As long as the liquid chlorine has not gotten excessively hot, or very warm for many days, it should be fine to use. The Sodium hypochlorite disproportionates into chloride and chlorate.

The only thing to worry about is that it will have lost some of it's original strength, so you may need to use a little more than you would otherwise have needed. The loss in strength shouldn't be dramatic over six to eight weeks, enough to be able to notice a difference, but still reasonably strong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.