Closing skimmer valves prior to brushing pool floor?

txborn

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2007
Carrollton, TX
I have 2 skimmer valves and a main drain valve on my system. Is it ok to close or partially close the skimmer valves so there is more suction for the drains? When I sweep the bottom of the pool, it stirs up fine particles of sand or dust that I want to get into the drains and into the filter.

I do this a few times a year if I need to do a thorough cleaning of the pool floor. My main drain also has a "skimmer" type basket. I only do it when I dont have swimmers in the pool to be safe. Just check your pressure readings at your filter if you feel the need.

By the way the post and responses are worded it sounds like something you shouldn't be doing on a regular basis.

I thought the skimmers are just for getting surface debris out before it gets water logged and falls to the floor.

I am assuming that the precautions are for strong HP pumps not to create too much suction to trap someone. But wouldn't dual drains prevent this from happening?

I usually have my skimmers off due to having a solar blanket on during the day in the winter. I have a 2spd and always use low speed. I would think I should not have any issues, or do I?

Update: I closed both skimmers and couldn't believe what came into the filter basket from the main drains :shock: Pieces of concrete, rocks and small stones from the Stonescapes pebble finish. No change in pressure on the filter. Going to have to clean out the pump basket now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.