Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing skimmer valves prior to brushing pool floor?

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing skimmer valves prior to brushing pool floor?

I have 2 skimmer valves and a main drain valve on my system. Is it ok to close or partially close the skimmer valves so there is more suction for the drains? When I sweep the bottom of the pool, it stirs up fine particles of sand or dust that I want to get into the drains and into the filter.
    7000 gallon IG freeform w/ 6 ft. spa, 21 ft weeping wall, Hayward SP4020NS Northstar pump, Colorlogic LED’s, DE6020 filter and H400IDL2 400,000btu heater. Aqua logic 8 zone controller with Aqua Rite salt chlorine generator, Stonescapes pebble finish – Aqua Blue and flagstone coping, stamped/stained concrete deck

2. Back To Top    #2

I do this a few times a year if I need to do a thorough cleaning of the pool floor. My main drain also has a "skimmer" type basket. I only do it when I dont have swimmers in the pool to be safe. Just check your pressure readings at your filter if you feel the need.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. I will keep an eye on the filter gauge as I close skimmer valves.
    7000 gallon IG freeform w/ 6 ft. spa, 21 ft weeping wall, Hayward SP4020NS Northstar pump, Colorlogic LED’s, DE6020 filter and H400IDL2 400,000btu heater. Aqua logic 8 zone controller with Aqua Rite salt chlorine generator, Stonescapes pebble finish – Aqua Blue and flagstone coping, stamped/stained concrete deck

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Don't be surprised....your pressure will drop. No problem, tho, your pump simply has less to do since it can't intake as much water as it would like.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    By the way the post and responses are worded it sounds like something you shouldn't be doing on a regular basis.

I thought the skimmers are just for getting surface debris out before it gets water logged and falls to the floor.

I am assuming that the precautions are for strong HP pumps not to create too much suction to trap someone. But wouldn't dual drains prevent this from happening?

I usually have my skimmers off due to having a solar blanket on during the day in the winter. I have a 2spd and always use low speed. I would think I should not have any issues, or do I?
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

6. Back To Top    #6
    i close both my skimmers and have no main drain, and i use the vac port. gives me a ton of suction .

7. Back To Top    #7

Update: I closed both skimmers and couldn't believe what came into the filter basket from the main drains Pieces of concrete, rocks and small stones from the Stonescapes pebble finish. No change in pressure on the filter. Going to have to clean out the pump basket now.