How?? Pressurize a line without Cutting PVC

h2o ski

In The Industry
Oct 2, 2011
What's the best way/ device for pressure testing lines on an inground
pool?

I am currently using an expandable plug with a schrader valve for the plug. On the "business end" I am using a collaboration of a brass schrader valve for adding air through a PVC 90 with a gauge hooked to that with a coupler for connecting.

Problem is I have to cut PVC attach my device glue, dry, test, cut. Repeat...

Thanks for all advice.

http://store.leaktools.com/mm5/merchant ... y_Code=PTE

I basically use the anderson kit, except if something broke i would just replace it with my own parts. But what I think you are looking for is rubber compression plug that comes with the kit. Most of the time I don't have to cut, for example there is a plug that will fit in the front end of a superpump to test skimmers. Even if you do have to cut with this kit you can just install a screw tight union and just leave that installed after you are done. Actually now that I think about it, even if you didn't want to use the rubber expansion plugs you can modify your device to connect to half a union install a union on the line test with your half union and then reassemble the union after you are done.

My return eyelets can be unscrewed and use a standard 1.5 inch plug to seal them down. Do you have your pump hooked up allready? If you do why not use the drain plug to add the air. I believe it a standard fitting you might be able to thread into it to add air.

Pressure testing with the equipment in place will lead to false positives, i.e failed tests. MPVs are especially prone but are certainly not exclusive.

A better solution, IMHO, is to go through a union. Splitting a union and having another like one with whatever additional plumbing to connect the tester to is more reliable.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.