Kreepy Krauly Legend VS. Legend II

The difference is how it's powered. The Legend needs a booster pump, the Legend II, while a pressure side cleaner, uses the main pool circ pump.

I use the Legend II to replace the Ray Vacs that have been discontinued (sadly) by Jandy. I use the Legend to replace Polaris 280 and 380 in pools where they didn't do a good a job as I would like due to the pool shape.

Both are good units. For new construction, I prefer the Legend if the equipment pad is all Pentair and the Polaris models if the pad is Jandy to take advantage of the extended warranty.

Scott

Here is how the story goes.
I have an old pool. The original filtration system had a 2HP pump running the system. It included solar panels heating the pool and a Polaris 180 pressure side pool cleaner.

The old 2hp pump got really noisy and the filter started to rust. So I replaced them with a Pentair, Whisperflo WFDS-4 1HP and MBW 4060, 60ft DE filter.

Polaris was activated through a dedicated line using a T valve (following picture). Turning it all the way to the left would direct the flow to the Polaris and to the right would de-activate the Polaris and would return the water to the pool. Since the flow was too strong, I would place the T valve half way in the middle and it did a good job. (I do not remember what the pressure on the filter gage was)

But now with the 1HP whisperflo, I have to turn the T valve to about 75% to the left to get the Polaris to move. Doing that would get the filter pressure up to 30-32psi from the norm of 20psi when used with filtration and routing the water directly to the pool! Frankly that scares me, wondering whether I am putting excess pressure on the new pump and the filter.
So that is why I am trying to figure out my next step, with the following choices?

1. Placing a new Polaris Booster pump and use my old Polaris 180
2. Purchase a new pressure side pool cleaner that does not need a booster pump (Legend II or Polaris 360)
3. Or continue with my existing setup, which puts the filter pressure to30-32psi?

All your comments are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0529-1.JPG
    IMG_0529-1.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 285
HAHA I have to laugh as your entire post has been running through my mind for a month or so now w/out even knowing this post was here. So basically you asked a question I was actually thinking about for a new setup...to some degree. I may be able to help in your conundrum.
I have a booster pump I'm considering getting rid of all together to try and save some energy costs. I'm also considering replacing my current main pump w/ a Variable Speed which would allow me to choose the outflow pressure. I was miss-informed by the pool place (shicking I know) that my current sweet would be able to run off the new pump. Well I have a Polaris 380 whihc requires a booster. Dilema is to leave the sweet and booster alone and just replace the main pump, but that kind of kills the whole VS need to some degree. Or tee my line, keep the current 380 sweep, Darn can the booster, and when I want the pump and cleaner (sweep) to run I jump up the RPM on the new VS pump to adequetly supprot pressure for both needs. Sounds like it will work but looking for confirmation.
You may be able to follow my same thought process if it is determined that this way of doing things will work.

I too have wanted to run a Legend with the main pump. I have a Pentair 3050 3 hp pump. I did learn that the booster pumps put out about 50 psi and 12 gpm. Will your variable speed pump do that after the filter? I have a small concern if the filter housing can take the higher pressure?

I've been using a legend II with my intelliflo vs pump for 5 1/2 yrs with very good results. I have a dedicated cleaner line and adjust the pump to 15 gpm for cleaning mode. PSI is around 12-20# depending on the dirt loading on the filter. I hand vac the pool 2-3 times/yr before cleaning my filter to get the fines the legend and brushing leaves behind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.