Closing for first time - question about blowing out lines

pat82

Jun 2, 2011
Hey all,

I've been following the Pool School instructions for closing an inground pool. I've shocked it, added PolyQuat, drained water below the returns and now I need to blow out the lines to add antifreeze and seal them up. I have a shopvac to blow the lines and I just tried it but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Am I supposed to put the blower into the hole just beneath the skimmer basket? I tried doing that and the water just blew right up in my face so it got me thinking - that pipe is connected to the pump/filter so I would be blowing air towards to pump/filter and not the returns, right? I'm assuming that's not the right way to do it, so how do I blow air away from the pump/filter and into the return lines? Any help will be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

Re: Closing for first time - question about blowing out line

Also, there is another hole under the skimmer basket but it is currently plugged up with a black plug. I tried removing it but it's pretty jammed in there... if that's the hole I need to blow out of then I'll figure out some way to get it out!

Re: Closing for first time - question about blowing out line

If you got wet when trying to blow the skimmer as long as you were in the right hole (the open hole) and you got squirted with a flush of water after blowing with the shop vac for a few seconds; then you might of just built up pressure before the water had a chance to exit near the pump. This happens if you don't blow the line for long enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.