Some concrete coping questions

MattM

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2011
San Diego, CA
So, our pool builder is getting close to finishing our new pool and we've selected and happy with our choices for the tile and decking (sealed stamped concrete w/ anti-slip additive). We're just not sure about the coping.

The pool is rectangular 34x16.

Pool builders initial coping recommendation was for plain concrete with square/flat edge.

We've always used pools with the bullnose/round edges but I understand the pool builders idea that it the square flat edge is a nice touch on an otherwise rather bland rectangular design. And, we'll be using the pool mostly for laps and not just sitting in it so the flat edge wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I'm curious how many pool owners go with flat/square edges to their coping and are happy with it long term? Is it an issue I should even worry about?

Also, to make the coping contrast out more, we're discussing adding an additive to the coping cement plus perhaps some kind of stamping to make it seem closer to a white marble or ivory look. I'm not sure if that approach will last long term - we're planning on staying in our current house forever and using the pool for the next 30 years. I also discussed just switching to travertine or stone for the coping with the builder, but he generally doesn't like how thin that would make the coping. Plus, it might cost more and not really deliver enough to be worth it.

Much worrying over nothing? Should we just go with the square/flat edge stamped concrete?

I went with a bullnose precast concrete coping in charcoal, they are smooth. It has lightened up some since it was installed, at first it was very dark but now its more of a dark grey. Up here heat is a lot less than where you are so the darker color has been fine. I like the bullnose but square would look good too. The smoothness provides a nice contrast to the stamped deck.

We went with Stegmeir forms for our coping. Cantilever Capstone:

cllform2.gif

Turned out very nice:

photobucket-1851-1318018728165.jpg

Cannot comment on longevity since ours is new. With regards to additive, we thought about same thing, but PB did in two pours and concrete company indicated that no two loads are exactly the same. So we just went with a slight S's brush finish in natural color.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.