JasonLion

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
When we bought the house it just happened to come with a pool. It was actually kind of a negative because it was in such poor shape and neither of us knew *anything* about taking care of a pool. I was all for filling it in at first but my partner thankfully talked me out of that notion. Getting the pool going took a 75% water replacement and an 80% electrical rewire and it is a minor miracle that the liner hasn't failed.

Then, for a couple of weeks last fall we were both in the pool every evening and I became a convert. This spring we are adding a SWG and dream someday of replacing the vinyl liner with plaster (which is to say: rebuilding the pool from scratch with a natural rock wall built into the hillside and a waterfall). When the liner fails (I was told that it is 15+ years old and it looks pretty bad) we will have to decide if we are serious about that or not.

I have an electrical engineering/computer background and have done more than my share of home renovation work (mostly when the professionals made a mess and I wanted it done right). Learning everything there is to know about pools has become my hobby for the last six months. Putting the SWG in myself has been lots of fun, even with the setbacks.

Nice to meet you,

Hope you enjoy your pool. I see your from Silver Spring MD. Having worked in Arlington/DC, I have on many occasions driven through there.
I hope you have found this place to be as big a help as I have.

TPG

Hi Jason! Congrats on the new home and the rectified pool.

I know a lot of people think that pools are too much work. I, on the other hand don't mind it a bit. You'll get tons of great info here. I find that it takes just a few minutes, weekly to keep it up.

:study: Ah, time warp.

When we first bought the house, I hired a pool service to take care of the pool, while I worked on the house. On their first visit, as soon as they tested the water, they quit. He told me that the pool had to be completely drained and fresh water put in, but that draining the pool would destroy the liner, so the liner would have to be replaced. He didn't want to have anything further to do with it. Then he charged me $80 for coming out.

He wouldn't tell me the test results, but I subsequently figured out that the PH was way below 6.8 and the CYA was way above 300. Apparently, the previous owner simply added more dichlor any time the water got the slightest bit cloudy and didn't do much of anything else.