kmb997

Jun 13, 2007
New Orleans
I'm getting a 21' round agp. It's coming with a 2 speed 2hp pump and sand filter. I will probably use a robot, but don't know which one, yet. Will the PF1103T be good enough for my needs? Pretty sure I will only need to control the pump.

Thanks

Isn't a 2hp too big for the 21' round. I get roughly 11400 at 4' deep. Also, why would you need a 2 sp pump if you are getting a robot? Does your above ground have water features?

I hope I do not confuse you, but I am trying to get understand sizing systems as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that pump ratings are rather variable. Some 2 HP pumps are larger than others. I suspect that a 2 HP pump that plugs into a standard outlet is not going to be nearly as large as the 2 HP full rated pumps that many of us are more familiar with. The number that really matters is the brake HP, which is the rated HP times the service factor (SF). SF varies from pump to pump, so only knowing the listed HP doesn't tell you all that much.

Even with all that, it probably is too large a pump on high speed. But it is much more reasonable on low speed. kmb997 would save electricity with a smaller pump, but with a two speed that isn't nearly as big an issue as it would be with a single speed pump. Having a two speed pump helps dramatically in almost every situation. Low speed is good for filtering while saving electricity and high speed is still available for vacuuming and other special occasions. Getting a cleaning robot doesn't automatically mean that there will never be a need for manual vacuuming or some other situation which calls for high speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.