IG Remodel

Oct 26, 2011
Edmonds, WA
Hi all,

New to the board and new to pool ownership. My wife and I bought our home just north of the Seattle, WA area this spring and became the proud owners of a 20x40 (8ft deep at deepest point) 30ish year old in-ground pool. There are two things I'd like to re-do in the next year or so and I'd love your ideas and help.

First, the pool needs to be replastered but I've heard that this can cost upwards of $10k or more. I've heard painting as an option and would like to explore this. Could you tell me if this is a good route to go and if it's a project that can be DIY?

Second, the concrete slabs that were poured around the pool have shifted over time and are not that attractive. I'd like to re-do the pool deck but again wouldn't like to spend thousands and thousands of dollars. What would you suggest? Will the current concrete need to be removed or is there a way to go over the current patio? A picture of the pool is attached as a reference. Thanks for your help!

-Nick

Attachments

• pool2.JPG
    pool2.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 126
All this depends on how far you want to go and how much you want to spend. If you are looking for an inexpensive DIY project to spruce-up the pool and make it serviceable, I can tell you what I did with a very similar pool at my previous home in New England.

Instead of replastering, I coated the inside of the pool with a two-part epoxy finish. For the deck I just used a concrete stain, but you also have the option of a textured acrylic finish, which would better fill in and mask cracks. One of the hardest parts of my project was resecuring and sealing all of the coping around the pool. I also had some loose tiles at the waterline.

The existing cracks in the deck will continue to move and open up. So going over the deck with new concrete is just asking for trouble.

Nick, Welcome to TFP! Nice pool and tub!
Like Chief said above, it all depends on what you're willing to spend. Paint of any kind, including epoxy, lasts a few years maximum. Generally it's worth just saving the money up for a replaster and living with the chips/discoloration/whatever for the time being. As for the deck, you can't really coat over the top and expect it to last, and the cracks will still be there. One very easy thing you can do is rent a pressure washer and give the slab a good cleaning; it looks like it could use it! You might be surprised how it looks once it's nice and clean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.