Quick plumbing verification

Steve737

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 25, 2011
Montgomery Texas
My guys are doing the plumbing today and I'm telling them 2.5" from each of my 2 skimmers to the pad and 2.5" on the 6 returns. Also 2.5" to each of the 2 loops in the spa. Each loop contains 6 jets. The higher loop will run off my inteliflow and switch like a normal spa. The second loop wil run when I hit high flow in my intelli touch. Then a second pump with blower will come on and power the second loop. This will not go through the heater. It's just for additional flow and power. The spa is 10x10. I was thinking that 2.5" will be sufficient for this application due to the separate runs. Pad is around less than 60 feet away. Thanks in advance Steve.

Also separate suction for the two pumps in the spa.

For the pool, 2.5" is plenty big but for the spa, it depends on the type of jet you use. Higher flow jets require larger pipe and pumps. If you are using 15 GPM jets (3/8"), then 2.5" is probably big enough as long as you don't have a lot of fittings/bends along the 60' run. 3" would give a stronger feeling jet and a little margin to play with. The increase in cost is small but increasing the pipe size later is huge.

But if you are using the more common 7/16" jets which require 20 GPM, then you may need to add another pump for just the jet loop. I think I recommend that earlier. It is a really bad idea to have the jet loop going through the filter, heater and valves which not only adds a lot of head loss and reduces the flow rate but having a high flow rate through the filter may cause damage over the long run. Plus without the pad equipment you can easily get 20 GPM but with it, you are limited to around 18 GPM which would be a weak feeling jet.

So I would highly recommend a three pump system for what you are trying to do. But if you are dead set against that, at the very least have the PB plumb an automatic bypass so that most of the water is bypassed around the pad equipment when spa mode is selected.

Hey mark I'm making a plumbing schematic and have a question about my skimmers. I'm doing 2.5" independent runs to and from the pad. On the suction, when I get the two separate runs back to the pad is ther a best way to hook them to the equipment. Plz forgive my ignorance! Steve

Something like the following diagram would work fine. If you don't have main drains you can eliminate that valve. Have you decided on three pumps or just two? With only two pumps, you will need a bypass valve before the filter connecting directly to the spa jet return. You can automate that in tandem with the spa mode valve.

jandy_plumbing_diagram_pg10.jpg

Thanks again for the post mark that helps me a lot. I think we are going to do two pumps for the spa. I already have four pumps as it is. I'm going to due the bypass valve I'm going out side now to tell them how I want it done thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.