Questions about test reading

With CYA/stabilizer at 90 the recommended minimum FC level is 7 and 8-10 is a better idea.

It would be nice if you could describe you pool a little. Is it plaster or vinyl or fiberglass? Do you have a spa, waterfall, or fountain of any kind? How big, what kind of filter, etc. Then we could give you some more specific advice. Ideally information about your pool can be put in you signature, so it is always available along with your question.

Testing Result Question

I'm sorry, I just kicked myself for not stating my pool info. I read the message board rules and just forgot.
28' Round Doughboy AGP 5' deep
1.5 hp pump
Sand filter not sure the size. I can go out & look if necessary.
No fountains or spa's

Sorry about that
Gdog

Thanks!

For that pool the TA level is not all that critical (unless your fill water is very high in calcium). Anything from 70 to 120 should be fine, though it should probably be on the higher end of that range if you are using trichlor or dichlor.

The CYA level is a bit high. I assume STA means stabilizer which is CYA. If you are using trichlor or dichlor you are about to have serious problems (CYA will keep going up and that means trouble). Using bleach it is manageable at 90, but lower would be better. With a SWG I suggest CYA of 60-80, without a SWG 30-50 is better. The only practical way to lower CYA is to replace water.

The other issue is that you said Ch of 6.0, which I assume means chlorine. We tend to use either TC, when measuring total chlorine, or FC & CC for free chlorine and combined chlorine when measuring them separately. Ch is too easily confused with CH, calcium hardness.

Question about test reading

I was meaning TC is 6.0 I use only 6% bleach not tablets or anything else. I'm starting the BBB method.
My water is clear but has a little cloudy look to it. What's causing this?
Do you think I need to drain some water out? If so, how much

Gdog

A slightly cloudy look to the water is probably algae just getting started, your chlorine level is a little low. Or it might just mean that your filter needs to be backwashed/cleaned. Or it could be any of a couple dozen other noticeably less common issues.

The short answer is yes. The longer answer is to keep reading the stickies and asking questions until you get a really good grasp of what all this means. Jason is saying not to add Cl (use that abreviation for chlorine...use "CH" for Calcium hardness) to your pool by any method that would increase CYA (Trichlor, dichlor tabs). You absolutley want your CYA no higher and getting it lower is much better....the only way to lower CYA is to drain some water and refill.

If your water is cloudy, you've got contaminates. Those contaminates could be several things....algae, dirt, etc. but running your pump and keeping your chlorine levels up (7.0 +) is the way to clear your pool. Don't get slack on the run time or let your Cl slip below that level and your pool will clear.

I've been reading the stickies. That's alot of info!!!!!
I'm going to drain 50% of my water Saturday, add bleach & re-test Saturday afternoon or Sunday. After doing alot of reading I think the cloudy water is coming from high CYA levels. Draining the water should clear it up.
Thank you guys for all your help!!!!

Gdog

After doing alot of reading I think the cloudy water is coming from high CYA levels. Draining the water should clear it up.
Well, not directly, anyway. Excessive CYA, in itself will have no effect on water clarity. However, 90ppm CYA is a difficult pool in which to maintain your chlorine levels and that can cause algae that will cloud your water.

Don't be intimidated by all that info in the stikies.....just keep asking and reading and it will all start to make sense.....sooner than you think.

BTW, draining 50% will bring your CYA down to somewhere around 45 or so....just where you want to be. Then, I'd hold the Cl in that pool around 5ppm and continue to run that pump...backwashing if necessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.