Trouble with Safety Cover Anchors

Adge

Oct 24, 2011
I have a Merlin Mesh safety cover. During opening and closing of the pool, I often experience trouble turning the anchors with my hex tool. The brass anchors just become to Dang hard to turn. I've already stripped one of my hex tools and had to buy another one. I've also tried vacumming up the dirt and debris that gets inside with a shop vac. Appreciate any feedback.
Thank you. Adge

Drip some water on the anchors and then gently rotate the anchor screw back and forth slowly opening farther each time. The water will seep into the threads and loosen the dirt.

I do the same...almost. My brass anchors have a large slot in addition to the hex accommodation. After soaking with WD-40, I use a very large screw driver and open-close-open-close the anchor and advance counter-clockwise a little further with each turn. Eventually you'll back it out.
Best thing to do is remove the male anchor fitting completely and thoroughly clean and lube the entire assembly.

I also hit each anchor with a jet of water from a hose with a nozzle before moving them -- either opening or closing. This removes most of the grit and helps keep the threads clean. If you feel grit in the threads, remove the anchor and clean the threads before it gets so bad you can't remove it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.