To Much Salt...

thadius65

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
Bloomsburg, PA
My PB got filter and all up and running Friday. He added salt on Saturady morning. 600lbs into a 21,000 pool. Initial readings Saturday night only read 3200PPM on ProLogic panel. Taylor kit showed 3600PPM. Sunday morning and currenlty it reads 4400PPM and Taylor was 5000PPM.

I am thinking this is to high and I should drain some water and fill?

Thanks,

Ted

Is this a new build or have you had the same water for awhile? What I'm getting at, did you check your salt level before adding the salt? If the water had been in use for awhile it might of had a higher level of salt than you might think.

There is always some salt in the water to start with, though city water often has fairly low levels. Salt does take a little while to dissolve and mix completely (normally you give it 24 hours with the pump running to mix), so your description fits with there being about 1,200 ppm of salt in the water to start with.

How important it is to get the salt level back down depends mostly on what brand/model of SWG you have. AutoPilot units don't mind the higher salt levels, but several other brands will refuse to function when the salt level is too high.

That unit will get a HIGH SALT error somewhere around 4000 ppm. The exact level is somewhat variable, depending on temperature along with other things. If you do get a high salt error you will need to lower the salt level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.