Water Balance and Water Temp.

Oct 14, 2009
I prefer a warm pool 90-94 even in the summer. We use a gas heater. Do I need to adjust my chemical levels because I keep it warmer? We have problems with scale even though I keep everything in balance. I keep my CH around 220. Should I lower it to help prevent the scale? I have a fiberglass SWG pool.

Thanks for your help!

With those numbers, your saturation index should be quite low at around -0.5 (assuming 3000 ppm salt levels) even at the higher temperature. So I wonder if what you are seeing is efflorescence instead of scale. Are you using 50 ppm Borates in the pool? That can help prevent scale in the SWG cell and might help with the tile line by keeping the pH from rising as much (though it won't help with efflorescence).

Thanks, what is efflorescence?

I have in the past added a little borates, but probably not enough to get 50 ppm. I do not have a way to test for Borates. Do I need to purchase something to check my borates level? I rarely have trouble with my ph increasing.

Thanks for your help!

Efflorescence would be something seen on stone and possibly grout, but not likely on tile. You never mentioned where you see scale so I was just guessing. When you say you see scale, where do you see it? On the fiberglass below the water line? Above the waterline? On tile? On stone?

Scaling below the waterline would be rough. Is the scaling you are seeing rough to the touch?

The scaling or should I say what I thought was scale is occasionally blowing out of the returns and I also find it in the salt water generator and the heater. I also find it in my Polaris bag. It is small flakes that are blue and white in color.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.