A few questions on pool build in NC

Oct 24, 2011
I am in the process of putting in a IG vinyl pool.Just a few questions on different choices. One builder will install a steel wall pool with a concrete bottom and Jandy products pump sand filter and SWG. The other will use a polymer wall with a vermiculite/ portland mix for a base with Pent Air filter system and SWG It will be a 16 x 32 Grecian . On the steel pool the steps would be inside with the liner over them and the other would be a fibreglass step. Here in North Carolina the ground is heavy red clay. Any suggestions on either build ? The prices are very similar. Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forum :lol: Either way to build the pool is fine. For me, I sort of like the resin walls but there are thousands of steel wall pools installed that do just fine.

My pool has a liner that goes over the steps and it is a little slippery. I like the look much better when it is installed over the steps but I haven't figured out an effective way to resolve the slipperiness.

Either will work equally well depending on the expertise of the builder. Some people prefer the resin due to the corrosion resistance (as Dave said above) but as far as the equipment goes, either Jandy or Pentair are both good mfg's.

Thanks for the replies. I was also concerned on the base of the pool. Concrete or vermiculite bottom. I heard reports of liner shifting and wearing out with a concrete bottom,or the concrete cracking and leaving sharp edges on the bottom of the pool.. Also with vermiculite being washed away and the liner being pulled into the area? Any concerns with these occurring? Just want to make a good decision on a big investment

When they say concrete, they almost certainly mean pool-krete, which is vermiculite and cement. All the things you mention can go wrong, but none of them are at all likely to happen, either approach should be fine.

The builder that I was referring to was offering a steel pool with a full concrete bottom. No pool crete or vermiculite . He was even dissing the other builders that use the combo of vermiculite and portland cement . Thats why I am leery of a concrete bottom for the simple fact of concrete cracking and causing trouble down the road . He promised to grind it to a smooth finish eg. granite. What do you guys think ? Should I just stick to the pool crete

Both walls should endure well in NC i would think. As for the bottom composition on hardpack clay with no frost heave to worry about you should have no problems with anything moving. I chose vermiculite for its insulating qualities.

What do you guys think about being able to get a better finish on the concrete bottom.. I just put a pool kreet base in and had some troweling issues. Ha ha could be that this was my first time and a professional would be smooth as well. Steel vs polymer really doesn't matter.i think it is what ever your PB can get a better deal on :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.