New Pool Install - Grecian L - Suffolk, VA

Sep 11, 2011
Suffolk, VA
First of all, I just have to say that I have been enjoying this forum for the past few months as my wife and I have been going through the process of gathering quotes from multiple PBs in the Hampton Roads area here in southeast VA. The information here has been extremely helpful as first time pool buyers especially knowing that others have been dealing with the same pressures and anxieties of making such a large decision. Thanks for such a wonderful site!

Being a family of 4 with 2 boys (5 & 7), we were looking for a large pool with a deep end suitable for a diving board and a large shallow area for playing games and activities. Both of my boys have birthdays during the summer months so we know we will be hosting large parties including the holidays, little league team events, etc. We also wanted a pool that provided a social area with seating for the adults to relax and 'get away' from the kids. The only other factor we needed to consider was that we have 3 dogs who may try to take a dip from time to time.

Starting in August, we lined up interviews with 6 different companies. All of them pretty much offered the same type of IG pool...vinyl lined with minor differences to stand out from their competitors (steel vs polymer walls, hayward vs pentair vs jandy, backfill with sand vs gravel, etc). After weighing the many options, we made our decision based on references, research on this forum, and basically the PB that we felt was most trustworthy (we preferred not listening to the rehearsed sales pitch but rather having a straightforward conversation on what we really wanted). We signed our contract on Oct 6th and the dig begins tomorrow Oct 24th!! The specs of our new pool are as follows:

18' x 40' x 28' x 16' Grecian True L
Merlin Vinyl Liner (Freeport Tile/Blue Tropic Bottom 20 Mil)
Galvanized Steel Walls (Cardinal)
Pentair 1 HP WhisperFlo High Performance Pump
Pentair FNS Plus 60 D.E. Filter
2 Pentair LED Lights
2 Quaker In Wall Seats w/ Hydrotherapy Jets (4)
8' Quaker Regular Steps
8' Diving Board
Hayward Aqua Plus Automation w/ SWG
2 Surface Skimmers
3 Returns w/ directional nozzles (1 on steps)
Anti-vortex bottom main drain
Plumbing for future auto cleaner (opting for suction cleaner initially...probably Barracuda MX8)

I have attached 2 pre dig photos. One from the second story window shows the outline of the pool (based on stakes and strings...we painted before realizing we needed to move the pool over an additional 5 ft due to easements). We decided to place the pool 25ft from the house and 10 ft from the existing fence. We have not worked through all of the details with the concrete decking yet but plan on a significant amount covering all of the area up to the fence and house. The second photo shows the view from the deep end. As we progress through the construction over the next few weeks, I will be sure to add additional photos.

Attachments

• 10-23-11 Pool Layout3 Resized.JPG
    10-23-11 Pool Layout3 Resized.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,212
  • 10-23-11 Pool Layout2 Resized Text.jpg
    10-23-11 Pool Layout2 Resized Text.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,196
Welcome aboard from a relative newbie in Va Beach!

I like what you're doing with it, it looks like it'll be a fun place when it's all said & done. I'd put one like it in my yard but I have underground utilities, and that pool would BE my yard.

Keep the pics & updates coming!

Thanks for the nice words!

As expected, day 1 got off to a slow start. After finalizing the permit documentation with the city, our PB showed up in the late morning to get started with preparing the site for construction. He needed to remove a few sections of fence for access to the backyard, relocate a tree sitting in the deep end, and mark for the over dig where the piping will be located. The excavator was delivered in time for him to accomplish all this and start digging. Tomorrow, the additional crew will be here to continue with the excavation! Here are a few more pics (as you can see the kids loved the large piles of dirt).

Attachments

• 10-24-11 Hole Resized.jpg
    10-24-11 Hole Resized.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 1,135
  • 10-24-11 Dirt Pile Resized.jpg
    10-24-11 Dirt Pile Resized.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 1,133
  • 10-24-11 Tree Relocation Resized.jpg
    10-24-11 Tree Relocation Resized.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 1,134
Congrats !! We are about to sign for our build- Down to the last two PB. One spouts the glory of Pentair the other swears Hayward is better due to price and service. You picked Pentair... Could you share how you made that decision and what weighed you to Pentair?

Thanks marksatex! To be honest, 4 of the 6 PBs we interviewed sold Pentair pumps and filters (they just added the lights from Pentair to take advantage of an extended warranty offered by the manufacturer). All 6 used Hayward automation...mainly the Aqua Plus. Only 1 sold the Jandy pumps/filters and really stressed how he was 'different' offering 'better' products than all his competitors (not sure about the products but we didn't trust him at all).

I have spent a lot of time browsing multiple sites looking at the different products and haven't seen a whole lot of negative reviews for Pentair. I have seen folks unhappy with the Hayward stuff but who knows...I simply just felt like I could trust our PB with his recommendation. I also contacted multiple references and they were very happy with all of the products they received. Good luck with your decision...I will probably have a better answer as a experienced owner in another few years!

End of day 2. The hole in the yard is a little deeper and the piles of dirt are little larger. Early morning start tomorrow on day 3 with a dump truck on site to start hauling away some of the excess. Dig should be complete tomorrow with the walls going up on day 4 before the rain moves in!

Attachments

• 10-25-11 Second Story View Resized.jpg
    10-25-11 Second Story View Resized.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 1,082
  • 10-25-11 Bigger Pile Resized.jpg
    10-25-11 Bigger Pile Resized.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 1,082
  • 10-25-11 Deep End Resized.jpg
    10-25-11 Deep End Resized.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 1,083
Day 3. Well guess what showed up last night...GROUND WATER! After hauling away 10 dump truck loads of dirt, gravel was delivered to fix the water issue. Between the dirt hauls, the PB was able to get some additional excavation done in the shallow area. Unfortunately, the water issue will delay the project an extra day so no walls tomorrow. Oh well...good thing we chose to do this in the fall..we have plenty of time before we will be ready to jump in!

Attachments

• 10-26-11 Gravel.JPG
    10-26-11 Gravel.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 1,064
  • 10-26-11 Water.JPG
    10-26-11 Water.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 1,066
Day 4. PB worked all day on the dig starting with moving the gravel and a pump into the deep end to manage the ground water. Then they worked there way into the shallow area. The dig is almost done but it doesn't look good for Friday with a weather system moving into the area.

Attachments

• 10-27-11 Day4 Build1 Resized.jpg
    10-27-11 Day4 Build1 Resized.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 1,004
  • 10-27-11 Day4 Build5 Resized.jpg
    10-27-11 Day4 Build5 Resized.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 1,004

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Day 5. The weather did not cooperate today and doesn't look good for Saturday either. It should clear up for Sunday so hopefully the grounds will dry up some so work can resume on Monday. I did want to show a picture of the deep end and something that concerns me. The ground water was coming in off the layers of clay and has starting collapsing the walls that were shaped during the dig. With the rain, it appears to have gotten worse. Anyone have a similar issue to this and should I have concerns? Not sure what the PB will do to correct this before putting in the concrete floor...we'll see.

Attachments

• 10-28-11 Day5 Build Resized.jpg
    10-28-11 Day5 Build Resized.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 1,003
Have him sink 4 to 5 well points around the deep end that will dry the area enough to build. If he knows how to do it it should take him 30 min to set up and cost les then 50$ in pipe excluding the pump witch should be self priming. I had a similar problem with my build hear in Saint Petersburg FL we had ground water at 6 ft the pool is 5 ft from house on one side it was a nerve wracking dig but the well points kept the walls from collapsing! Hope that helps!

Thanks for the recommendation THEREDIYE...the PB actually mentioned the well points as a potential solution when the water first showed up so I think we are on the same page. I actually had a chance to chat with him yesterday after he finished up and he doesn't seem concerned at all. He wants to bring in his 'bottom' guy to look at it before his does anything but mentioned something about sandbags and additional gravel to keep the walls from collapsing by creating way for any additional water to drain behind them to the gravel bed.

End of Day 6 now and the dig is complete. I was unable to get any pics last night but here is one from this morning. As you can see we had yet another rain system move in which will probably keep any progress from happening later today. The next step is the delivery of the kit so hoping to have some walls put up tomorrow!

Attachments

• 10-31-11 Day 6 Build1 Resized.jpg
    10-31-11 Day 6 Build1 Resized.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 934
carlscan26 said:
Hope it's not too late for this suggestion but three returns doesn't seem like enough with an l shaped pool.

Good point. I would also ask for more returns as well. L shaped pools tend to have water circulation challenges built into the design. The more returns, the better off you are. It's a cheap addition now. Not so much later.

Thanks for the suggestion. Have a question though...doesn't the jets on the seats act as returns as well (for a total of 7)? I think the plan is to place the 2 main returns and skimmers on opposite sides of the 'main' pool with the additional one on the steps. The seats are located in the L area so i just assumed that the 4 jets would be enough to create the necessary circulation. To be honest though, I pulled those details from the standard contract so I am not even sure if he is planning more than just 2. I do remember having the conversation about returns/skimmers/pump size/etc at the time we signed the contract and the PB said I don't have anything to worry about as the pool will have plenty of circulation. Thanks again and I will definitely bring it up before the plumbing begins.

Ask him to sketch out the layout of the pool with the returns and skimmers and then discuss how he expects the water flow to look like. Also consider wind patterns - my skimmer is on the wrong side of my pool as the normal wind currents blow away from it

Day 8. The rain kept the PB away Tuesday and we were hoping for the delivery of the kit in the afternoon. Received a note late Tuesday stating that they were unable to make the delivery but the pool would be sent first thing in the morning on Wednesday. Well the kit was delivered as promised bright and early...however, a panel was missing from the warehouse which would be sent overnight and available on Thursday. Rather than sending out a crew to build most of the pool, the PB decided it would be better to wait until Thursday. The good news is we received a free upgrade to the leisure steps from the standard (we think this was done because of the missing piece). Also, the additional day will help with the standing water from the recent weather. The pics below show the way the kit was just dropped in the yard.

Attachments

• 11-2-11 Day 8 Build16 resized.jpg
    11-2-11 Day 8 Build16 resized.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 857
  • 11-2-11 Day 8 Build10 resized.jpg
    11-2-11 Day 8 Build10 resized.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 856
Day 9. We have a pool...at least a shell of one. Next step is a scheduled inspection for Friday and then leveling/aligning/squaring the pool on Monday for the concrete footing. I did speak with the PB today on the few issues that were brought up here. The plan is to sink the well points around the deep end to handle the ground water issue as recommended. That should happen soon. As far as circulation, you should be able to see the panels pre cut for the skimmers in the pictures below. He said that 2 returns and skimmers will be adequate along with the bottom drains in the deep end and multiple jets. From the perspective of the house...in the shallow end, the skimmer will be on the left side and return on the right side...in the deep end, the skimmer will be on the right side and return on the left. Supposedly this design along with the way he lays out the plumbing will do the job needed to move the water properly. Enjoy the pics...exciting for us to see something more than just piles of dirt!

Attachments

• 11-3-11 Day 9 Build11 (resized).jpg
    11-3-11 Day 9 Build11 (resized).jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 855
  • 11-3-11 Day 9 Build13 Resized.jpg
    11-3-11 Day 9 Build13 Resized.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 854
  • 11-3-11 Day 9 Build19 (resized).jpg
    11-3-11 Day 9 Build19 (resized).jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 854
carlscan26 said:
Ask him to sketch out the layout of the pool with the returns and skimmers and then discuss how he expects the water flow to look like. Also consider wind patterns - my skimmer is on the wrong side of my pool as the normal wind currents blow away from it

This is very good advice. Seriously consider it for the reasons Carl mentioned it.

My pool is similar to yours, in that it is a left hand Grecian true "L". It not quite as large (16.5x32,26.5) nor as full featured (no lights or sitting nooks). But are some of my observations with my pool that might be helpful.

The placement of my skimmers aren't bad, but they aren't ideal. When the wind kicks up, the debris collects in pockets away from the skimmers. I've aimed my jets to churn the water but also create currents that move debris toward the skimmers, but if the wind picks up they currents are enough.

Also, as Carl mention find out about the returns. Where they will be and how the PB intends to aim them to create a current that both minimizes dead spots and help bring debris to the skimmers. Be sure you're comfortable with that. You mentioned you have 3, does that include the one in the steps or is it 3 plus that one?

Just for comparison I have 5 returns altogether. 3 are in the walls(like you, I think). Plus 1 in the steps(also like your pool). Plus 1 for a pressure cleaner, its in the middle long wall, but it also acts as a return (water jets out of it even when the booster isn't running).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.