Pump not getting enough water.

May 31, 2011
Ok I have one of those energy saving pumps. I usually run it 10 hours a day or so at around 1100 rpm (or whatever it is on the pump)... I have a quick clean setting for when I put powder chemicals or bleach in the skimmer. If I don't turn it on higher, the powder stuff comes out the drain cause I guess there's not enough suction. ANYWAY... I let my bonehead brother and his wife stay at the house (and apparently his mother in law too... family of bums but I was trying to be nice and help out since I'm not living there at the moment.. my bad. Learned my lesson). Now the pump is not working like it used too... It was working fine yesterday when I stopped by.

What's happening is like the little skimmer basket on the pump before it goes into the filter? That usually fills up with water to the top and water passes through that, and then goes into the filter you know? Well That doesn't fill up with water anymore... like it may fill up halfway. I turned the pump off cause I didn't wanna burn the motor if not enough water was going through. I turn the pump off, and turn it back on. It primes up and fills up with water... but the level starts going down as the pump slows down to it's normal run setting. And the water level goes down lower and lower. It's like it's getting a really weak suction or something, like when you don't have enough water in the pool... The pool is over full of water (they filled it too high but big deal). THe mother in law said all she pushed on it (I don't know why she was touching it in the first place) was the 3rd speed setting and then turning on the booster pump manually on the time clock. She had no clue how to use the vacuum... it's a Kreepy Krawly with it's own filter bag and you hook it into the side of the pool. She was sticking it down into the skimmer like you do with some of those other vacuums that send everything to the filter. I don't see how that hurt anything though...

Anyway, any possible ideas what's up?

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried. The pump strainer pot was what I was talking about when it wasn't filling up with water, I didn't know what it was called :D Anyway I was thinking it was something in the line too but how would I remove that?

By her sticking the vacuum directly into the skimmer, it could have sucked something into the skimmer line that got stuck part way in. Take a water hose and try forcing water backward through the skimmer from the pump strainer basket. Use some rags to get a seal.

Hmm... well, I called a pool guy out and he pointed to all the obvious things I already checked. Left saying clean the filter and if that doesn't work, call him back. In the mean time... I stuck the hose in and forced water backwards for a while but nothing came up.

I noticed that when the pump is on after it primes and is all the way full, air bubbles make it's way into the pump skimmer pot from the line coming from the pool. As more air bubbles come in, the water goes down. I can't figure out where the air is coming from though. Nothing appears to be leaking, I checked all the lines... Also, the water isn't getting dirty or anything like that so I wouldn't think it's an underground problem either. The booster pump line did seem to be shaking more violently than I ever remember it when the pump was priming but that doesn't seem like it should effect anything cause the booster pump is connected to the return line so air wouldn't be sucking in from that.

The guy will probably stop by tomorrow but if anyone else here has any ideas, it'd help. This guy seems pretty new and is obviously more of an electrician... He was talking about changing the pump out since it's still under warranty but I really don't htink the pump is the problem anymore since everything seems to run fine, just the pump skimmer pot can't keep enough water in it...

If you can see air bubbles coming into the pump basket then you have an air leak some where in the suction line. You can run a water hose over all the fittings on the suction line and see if the bubbles stop while the water is running. If they do, you've found the culprit. You also need to check the skimmer weir to make sure it's operating properly and not sticking.

You should also put your equipment and pool in your sig so we know what we're dealing with when replying.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.