Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deck?

1. Back To Top    #1

Deck?

I'm getting a 21' round and want to know what is a good size for a side deck? I would like enough room for 2-4 people to lay on chairs and maybe a small table.

Thanks
    21' Round AGP, 10k gallons - 2hp 2spd pump - 300lb sand filter - Stenner Chlorine Injector - Pool Rover

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    You can almost never build it too big. Have enough room for the sunning chairs plus room to walk in front of them comfortably....probably close to eight feet front to back.....more is better. Your own ability to judge what's practical and fits into your poll, yard. landscaping, etc. but if there's doubt, make it bigger.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Bigger is always better when it comes to decks, but as a minimum you need about 8-9' width to accomodate lounge chairs with a little room to get by them. Two lounge chairs will take up about 5' width if they are put right next to each other and if you just want a small bistro seating area that could probably be done in about a 5' area as well. So that is a minimum of 9'x10' not counting additional room for a landing, if needed at the top of a set of steps. Without a little more information I would say that 10' width and about 14' length would be a good size for what I think you are describing.

If you have the lounge chairs and a seating area, lay the furniture out in your yard or driveway and see what feels comfortable to you and use real measurements.

Riles
    16x32 IG vinyl, 19,000 gal, 1.0 hp pump, sand filter, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, diving board, slide

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree that I will have to measure and see, but I was just trying to get some general ideas while I'm waiting for the pool to be installed.

Thanks
    21' Round AGP, 10k gallons - 2hp 2spd pump - 300lb sand filter - Stenner Chlorine Injector - Pool Rover

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a 27' round, And the deck I built is 12'D x 20'W and I still wish sometimes that I had more room 8)
    27' Round AG, 17,200 gallons, sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm still trying to figure out where to put the pool and where to build the deck. I know you can't pick a place for me because it is personal preference, but I would still like some ideas or suggestions.

Does anyone have any recommendations about how close or how far an AGP should be to my house? I don't know if this is possible but, thinking about hurricanes knocking pool walls down and flooding my house.

When you walk out to your backyard, would you like to look at a pool with nice landscaping around it or a deck?

Thanks

7. Back To Top    #7
    I personally do not love the looks of AG pools. My back yard also faces the main road in and out of our subdivision, and I want it to look really nice. When we get ours, it will butt up to our existing deck, and be decked all around, with lattice at the bottom of the deck, so that it looks like a giant deck, and not an AG pool. Of course, I am in KY and live on a hill. In NO, you don't really have that option unless you build the deck off your second story!!

SO, in a flat-terrain situation, I think I would prefer to see landscaping, not a deck sitting in the middle of the yard. Put the deck off to one side, and landscape all around.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!