Pentair 1 1/2 hp pump

Oct 20, 2011
Hello,

The pool that I like the most is 15X30X54" - the seller says that I should use an Optiflo Pentair 1 1/2 hp with a 150sqft cartridge filter...he says that 1hp is too small for 150sqft cartridge...Dave J. mentioned that 1 1/2 hp is too big...
also, is whisperflo a much better pump?

Thank you,

CD

Re: Pentair 11/2 hp pump

Dave gave you good advice. The pool store will try to sell you an oversized pump with an undersized filter. Your best bet for costs savings over the life of the pump is to go with a 2 speed pump. A 3/4 HP would be fine, a 1 HP would be more than enough but still realitively low energy consumption. Even if the 1.5 HP single speed is cheaper it will cost you much more over time.

Re: Pentair 11/2 hp pump

I just stopped by Leslie's pools in my town and the manager told me that he would not recommend a cartridge filter, as it is more expensive in the long run and if the cartridge is not positioned well inside then I will run into problems; he also said that when I change the cartridge I will have to shut down the entire system...He advised for a 20" sand filter with a 1 1/2 Hayward pump and when I asked about a 2 speed pump he said that a 2 speed pump will not work with an above ground pool...The other option is a 100 sqft cartridge with 1hp Hayward pump...

Another question: Can I use a salt water system for an above ground pool? Pelican Pools advises that a salt water system will void the pool warranty because it will corrode the liner and the walls of the pool. Leslie's Pools said that I can use it and it will not void the warranty and recommended Intex Crystal Clear Saltwater System Saline Chlorinator...I am really confused because of contradicting advice...

Thank you,

CD

None of the advice you got from Leslie's makes any sense to me. Replacing the water you lose when backwashing a sand filter also costs something, canceling out most of the price difference. Replacing the cartridge can be done in a couple of minutes and is only needed once every several years. A 20" sand filter is most likely too small for your pool, smaller than I would recommend using anyway, and certainly too small to use with a 1 1/2 HP pump. Two speed pumps do indeed work with above ground pools, they are actually quite common. It sounds to me like they are just trying to sell you whatever they happen to have on hand.

Yes, you can use a salt system with an above ground pool. With some brands of above ground pools a salt system does void the warranty, with other brands it does not. Though that has nothing at all to do with the liner. The liner is totally fine regardless. The only part at risk is the frame, and only if it is a metal frame, and only if you live in an area with low rainfall, and even then problems are incredibly rare.

Go to the pumping station and check up my recent thread "help me choose a pump/filter for my AGP". Dave gave me lots of good info there about 2 speed pumps and energy efficiency.

There is plenty of great info and help on this site. I always recommend you do your own research before you make a decision. That being said most pool stores dont know much and as Jason said will simply try to sell what they need to get rid of.

If I were you I would get a 2 speed 1 HP with a 200 Sq Ft cartridge and find a pool that you like that will waranty a SWCG.

BBBliever, I see that you have added solar panels, so this gave me the idea to add 2 fafco panels; I live in New Jersey...

I will call the pool manufacturer and verify the warranty.
It seems that I could go with Pentair 347991 OptiFlo 1 Horsepower 2 Speed 115 Volt pump + Pentair Clean & Clear Pool Filter -200 sq. ft. or Hayward Matrix 1 Hp 2 Speed Aboveground Pool Pump -( Sp15922S , Hayward ) for which I can't find a cartridge filter for above ground pools...I would prefer Hayward as it is located in New Jersey...

Can anyone recommend a salt water system?

Thank you.

I highly recommend going solar. Not familiar with your climate but they greatly extend my swim season. My pool temp has not droped below the upper 80's yet. Today's ambient high was 80 my pool was 87. I hope to swim till thanksgiving.

You will need to make sure your solar and swcg and pump support each other. The solar panels when in use greatly reduce the flow of the pump. That is why a 2 speed is nice, you can run it on high with the solar on and low at other times.

I like my Intex SWCG. They normally go for $180 or so.

The same filters work for above ground or inground pools. The pump pushes the water through the filter, the filter does not have its own power source. Pick the type of filter you want and pick a size that is large enough that you don't have to clean it all the time. If you live in an area where you have a lot of organic debris (dust, leaves, blossoms from flowering trees and shrubs) in your yard an over sized filter will be more convenient for you. Filters work best when water flows through them slowly. With residential size pool equipment it is near impossible to have too much filter for your pump, and common to have too much pump for your filter. When the pump is too much for the filter over time it will degrade the filter's performance and cause excess wear. Cartridges and grids will develop holes and sand will channel.

With a 2 speed pump you use high speed for vacuuming and running solar panels and low speed for filtering. A 1 hp 2 speed pump should be enough to run roof mounted solar panels unless you plan on installing them a great distance from the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.