Need new heater...should I switch to a heat pump?

lnmnmns

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 20, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
Our gas heater gave out at the end of last summer and needs to be replaced. My husband is suggesting that we get a heat pump instead of replacing the gas heater. Does anyone have any recommendations for one or the other? We live in central Indiana and usually swim from May to the beginning of October with the gas heater...which we actually try not to use often because of the expense. My husband has heard/read that a heat pump heats more consistently and is less expensive in the long run to use. Any advice or information on heat pumps, how they work, how they differ from a gas heater, their installation costs, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks alot!

Peggy

In a nutshell a heatpump costs more money to buy than a gas heater but uses less energy to operate - saving you much money over time. A heatpump is best used with a solar cover to maintain heat and it is best to bring the pool up to temp and keep it there. They are generally sized smaller than a gas heater so it takes them longer to increase temperature. I have had one in NJ for 8 years and would never use a gas heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.