SteveNbr's pool build

stevenbrla

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
Hi y'all are??

Near Baton Rouge, LA here, for those who might care...

Thanks to SEAN for building this forum... not too many "good" pool forums around. Truly a need to be filled. Thank you, Sean!!

I feel like I know a few of you already. I watched Sean's pool build on thepoolforum, but couldn't register... so just had to watch silently... and recognize a few of you from there and from other places as well. We've been talking to pb's since December, and finally settled on one in March.

Seemed relatively difficult to find one who felt comfortable doing what we (I) wanted.... and when we (I) wanted. Plenty of demand around here, especially this time of the year. Hoping we picked the right one... seems good so far.

Started digging 2 weeks ago today, steel the followiing Saturday, and concrete on Monday (5 days ago now).

Ran an electric line to my pad this week, and I had the gas line ran yesterday.

Here's what I'm planning on us having:

approx 500 sq' pool, 100' perimeter, 21000 gallons?, 3'-6'
baja shelf,
hot tub, old brick veneer (hopefully to match house), 2 tier spillover
old brick coping
plaster still unkown
tile still unkown
decking... faux finish on koolkrete (I think)
2 deck jets
4x160 pump
pentair cartr filter
pentair 450 btu heater
pentair easytouch
another pump something
pentair legend cleaner

We'll see how it turns out.

Good or bad... most of my knowledge has come from forums like this... pretty hard to get good info ANYWHERE else.

I'll try to post some pics (on my first post, no less.... don't expect to really see pics!)

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

How do ya do, how are things at the RED STICK? Yes, that is going to be a real nice hang out. I, myself am on the verge of starting my excavation any day now so we'll be newbies together.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Dave

Well, thank yall.

and you're right... no matter how much effort or money is put into a pool... it's nothing as good as those gifts from God that we call kids. I included that pic just in case you wanted to see the motive for the pool. She is cute... but truth is... she's 5x as cute on the inside as the outside.

For various reasons, she didn't even want a pool up until a couple weeks ago, but seems to be warming up to the idea pretty well of late. It's interesting how sometimes you just have to say Yes to things for your kids, and No to things for your kids... just because "you've been there before".

Looking foreward to many hours with her and her friends in and near our pool in the future.

Obviously we'll need a little help to learn how to keep things "right", and will be asking for it soon.

Thanks for viewing my pics.

Steve (yes, in Red Stick, where the good times roullete')

Thanks for asking... been pretty idle here for the last few weeks. Best I can tell, too much work for too few workers.

They finally did show up today, wreck the form, and begin trinching for plumbing. I think 2-3 of them put in about 3 hours of work... maybe less.

Maybe it will be enough progress in the next few days worthy of pics...

The real progress has been a final coping decision, and working hard to finalize the plaster decision.

Thanks for asking... Ii'm watching yours too!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmmm... my dig day was in Aprio of 199.... well, maybe not that long ago...

Off hand, I don't remember the date they dug (although its documented in my checkbook), May 2, I think.

They started digging on a Saturday, did gunite one week later on Monday... so on day 9.

Since then, almost 3 weeks of nothing, until they showed up today.

I'm doing my best not to push too hard (not that it would do much good), as they delay, it gives me time to finalize and review decisions. I'm already seeing things that I wish i'd done differently... but no biggies... yet.

I'll be out of town the week after next, and I hope THAT week doesn't turn out to be a big work week for them.

that said.... feel free to race my builder.... (pretty sure you'll win)

We actually had workers show up yesterday.... started trinching for plumbing...

Even came back today... finished wrecking form, ran all the pvc from the pool to the pad.

Said something about someone coming tomorrow to finish plumbing to the pad.

Coping/tile folks are supposedly about 2 pools away from me. Who knows how many real days that will convert to...

All the same... it was GREAT to see some action.

I'd post pics... but it pretty much looks the same as above, without the lumber, and more dirt, less grass around the pool.

Still slow as Christmas here.

I told myself from the get-go that I wasn't going to get impatient, that I knew building this time of year would require patience as labor is spread thin, and demand is great.

I keep telling myself that, meanwhile letting my pb feel my true anxiety. (not that it really seems to matter at all)

We could've waited until the Fall to build... but then we' just be 6 months further behind...

he said today that they were doing the pool before me (a friend of mines) coping/tile next week, and mine should be the following week... I'm outa town next week, so prolly best that they're not left to screw up too bad while I'm gone anyway.

It truly is giving me time to think and rethink selections, etc.... which truly will be best in the long run (so I keep telling myself)

thanks for being my therapist today.

Hang in there Steve, it's been too quiet around my back yard too. Just think, we will both be taking a dip in our own pools pretty soon. If you would have waited six months - well, that'd be six months from now and I really doubt your PB (or mine) would've been any quicker getting the job done.

THINK....SPLASHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Hey Steven,
Enjoyed looking at your photos, really like your spa design (unique). Im in B.R. also and we began dig on May 9. and believe it or not they did gunite the following week on the day that we had 7000" of rain! LOL needless to say I was not happy bout dat. Anyway they ran electric to my panel yesterday and are suppose to plaster today. (we will see) The target date for coempletion is June 15 ( we are not pouring a deck so things are moving pretty fast) just in time for fathers day. But that is not to say we don't have issues. (See my posting "My contractor can't read a ruler").
I will keep you posted on the outcome.
Lance

Attachments

• CIMG0614.JPG
    CIMG0614.JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 641
Cajunlance said:
Hey Steven,
Enjoyed looking at your photos, really like your spa design (unique). Im in B.R. also and we began dig on May 9. and believe it or not they did gunite the following week on the day that we had 7000" of rain! LOL needless to say I was not happy bout dat. Anyway they ran electric to my panel yesterday and are suppose to plaster today. (we will see) The target date for coempletion is June 15 ( we are not pouring a deck so things are moving pretty fast) just in time for fathers day. But that is not to say we don't have issues. (See my posting "My contractor can't read a ruler").
I will keep you posted on the outcome.
Lance

Steve and CajunLance...

Also a BR dweller..who's the contractor you guys are using, and if you don't mind telling me your quoted pool costs so I can get an idea on how much I'm looking at in this part of the world..

Thanks!!
Lee

hi ppc and cajunlance,

Sweet lookin pool, Cajun. that's great if you can get some plaster in there soon, (or maybe you're swimming by now?) Love to know your plaster selection, and some pics... maybe even a visit? No doubt will be a few more weeks before we get plaster, and I'm still sweating the selection. I'm off old perkins road.

PPC,
My pb is not local, and I'd rather not mention him at this point. (jury is still out) I got several quotes, maybe went a little overboard on the equipment selection, but you could plan on 45k plus for a gunite pool/spa, depending on your self control (I have little, hence the plus.)

Cajunlance's looks about the same size as mine, but will save several k$ by eliminating deck in the job. I would guess his is still around the 45k range, and maybe a good bit more depending on equipment, coping, and plaster selection.

Sounds like cajun is having a good experience. Maybe he'll share his builder.

Good luck.

UPDATE: This week we made the progress of having our "old/used brick delivered." I spent several hours sorting brick today (coping vs. spa veneer vs. non-usable. Planning on spending many more cleaning the brick so that it worthy to have my wife's behind sit on it. (She was reluctant to use old brick, so now its up to me to prove it was the correct selection for us.) At least it gives me something to do while I wait...

We decided on NPT's AZ606 for the tile. It's kind of a mottled looking tile, with blue, gray, and rust colors. Should match our brick, and whatever blue/gray plaster we end up choosing.

Also have received my TFP test kit... practiced by testing my tap water... ph = 7.8

Went swimming in a friend's pool today, really made me anxious to see something other than rainwater in ours.

One day...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.