SteveNbr's pool build

Wow... you know your pool build is moving slowly when you have to scroll to page 2 just to find your own thread.

When I was beginning to wonder if there would EVER be any more work done on my pool, and if I may have to begin the work myself....

there was a stranger in my backyard at 6:15 this morning. Never a more welcome stranger, mind you. You know those DirecTV commercials where the guy hugs the serviceman?.... well.... I resisted the urge to hug the guy.... but I could barely hide my joy for him and his helpers to be spending part of his day (and evidently very valuable time) at MY house TODAY!!!

ok... it's not decking or plaster... but nobody has worked in this backyard for a month, other than ME.

i had to leave to go to work shortly into their work. I had been wondering how they would hide the flaws of the uneven edge/ledge of parts of my pool. It was good to see that they had a way. Why did I doubt it? Just bump the tile 1/4" or so above the edge.... and do it levely...(yes, they took the trouble to draw lines using a sophisticated plastic tube with water in it... gotta love simple human engineering.)

Pics are below (assuming my work is as good as theirs). tile is NPT AZ606, which i've got to believe has got to be one the most common these days with so many people choosing blue/gray plaster. We didn't choose it to be common... but thought it would blend best with our plaster and coping.

Our coping and spa veneer will be old/used clay brick. I spent many hours sorting, cleaning and counting... and even laying it out... right in their way... but hey... I could've moved it if I'd known they were coming.

They're SUPPOSED to be back Monday to install brick coping... but if I were a betting man...

Anyway, I think I can honestly tell someone when they ask when my pool will be "ready", (as if I have a darn thing to do with it), it will be ready somewhere between 2 weeks and 2 years. It COULD be ready in 2 weeks. Likely? Not.

DSCN1492.jpg

DSCN1491.jpg

DSCN1490.jpg

Steve

It's been a very good Fourth at our house.

After being disappointed in no workers showing up Monday and Tuesday, I resorted to forget about them for a day and install shelves in a lil storage room on the back side of my house that I have never touched. Pretty sure it'll be full of backyard and pool junk real soon.

My dad helped me with that, and about 9 or so, some workers showed up and started digging up grass for the decking form. Mind you, we hadn't even started the coping (brick) yet... and by the time I had looked up, the only 2 guys there were of the non-English speaking persuasion. No matter to me... progress is progress. (No big deal that my PB hadn't relayed the new and improved decking plan... I can point and nod with the best of them.)

Eventually, the leader returned and they begin laying the brick coping. They got maybe 1/3 laid, and said they'd be back tomorrow, etc.

I got to talk with the leader a good bit... progress for sure... indeed we might get to swim in July! Who knows?

Hopefully my builder will come through and deliver the bluestone he owes us, and gets his plumber back over so they can finish forming and pour deck. Be a shame for the PB to be the hold up... hmm.

Here's one pic... started raining pretty hard right after they left.

P7040013.jpg

Thanks Arizona,

The rain really hasn't been an issue for us so far. It has been raining a little almost every day, but not enough to stop progress. Our progress has only been hindered by lack of.... people doing work.

This week has been the most hectic for me, which I HOPE will be a good thing.

It seems my PB's crew decided this was Steve's week! That's a good thing, right?

Well, my PB's dad has been in the hospital pretty much since we started. Evidently this week was meant to be his last on earth. The funeral ended up being Thursday.

So who do you think became Project Manager?

Throw in the fact that one of my coworkers was on vacation this week, pretty much locking me in at work.

Rough week. Hopefully, my pool didn't suffer permanently.

Here's what got done....

P7070004.jpg

Spa got bricked...mostly anyway.

P7120005.jpg

Brick coping got finished

P7120009.jpg

Got the deck formed up

P7120012.jpg

Poured some concrete

P7120021.jpg

Didn't realize that I had to worry about a concrete truck driving all the way to the back of my yard, only to get stuck in an oak tree. Genius, huh? It gets better.

Then he got stuck... had to get another to pull him out. Supposedly the second time today that he'd been stuck. The first truck went in the same place, didn't get stuck in the tree or the mud. genius. No big deal.

P7130042.jpg

early the next morning. they covered the last section they finished as it was thundering and lightning when they left at 8:45 last night.

Texture, scoring, color to be applied to deck.

Plaster and equipment to be installed soon too.

Truly possible to be swimming in July.
(maybe even this year)
P7120032.jpg

Ok... I coudn't this pic where I wanted it.

I think you might take the unluckiest pool customer prize for having a death in the pool builder's family!

Someday we will swim in our own back yards! It will happen! (that's what the angels are telling me)

Yeah, I know, I should be committed! that's what my wife keeps telling me!

Serious progress in the last week and a half...

Now, IF I just had some pool equipment... (yes, a pump, filter, lights... simple stuff like that...)

my PB is going to annoy the heck out of me until the last ounce of energy is dispersed (not sure whether it's my energy or his)

my turn will come soon. :wink:

P7180078.jpg

first few min's of plaster.

P7180080.jpg

after about 2.5 hours of work

P7180084.jpg

after letting dry a few hours, acid wash, then pressure washing

P7180085.jpg

taken a few min's ago. finally... water in the pool.

in case you care, the plaster is diamondbrite. 8 parts tahoe blue, 1 onyx, 1 midnight blue

stevenbrla said:
my PB is going to annoy the heck out of me until the last ounce of energy is dispersed (not sure whether it's my energy or his)

my turn will come soon. :wink:

Man, I totally sympathize with you! This has been a LOOONG process for the both of us!

Your pool looks GREAT by the way!

Dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks for the request...

I know I owe one.

We took our first lil swim last Thursday... and have had several since then.

they finally cleaned all the trash that looked like a dump, Saturday.

My pb is soooo on the ball.

here's what we have left, 11 days after plaster:

install pool lights
top coat of deck
program equipment
install missing switch on pump
fix spa leak (this being the most disturbing)
grade out my lawn
redo bluestone on spillover

how bout that for a punchlist? (again, 11 days after plaster)

we're so close, but so far.

anyway... as of now, we're swimming, and I'm very happy with our design and selections (except the pb)
We were swimming today, and I am sooo happy with our design. We guessed right on many things!!

depending on the spa leak thing, we should be happy, and through with our pb soon.

I'll take a decent pic tomorrow and post.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Pb called today telling me that they had found the leak in the spa. Got home to find that indeed... they didn't.

But after another examination, I found it. (or at least a big one.) Using food coloring, I could get it to suck the dye heavily right under one of the jet fittings, into the gunite/plaster.

How much you think my pb should pay me to find his mistakes that he can't find?

Anyhoo... just fix it already, right?

Had a beautiful sunny day, and probably the best my pool has looked yet. Pump has been running, water chemistry is coming around, plaster dust is slowly disappearing... and the sun...

It's not very impressive on photos, especially with the deck unfinished and the lawn being in disarray, with virtually no landscaping, deck jets not adjusted, etc.... but it sure swims good. After being in it just a handful of times, my lil girl has decided that she'd rather be under the water than on top of it! I'd never thought the transformation would be so quick.

As promised, here's a recent pic (today about 5 pm.)

P8020114.jpg

Wooohoo!! So when is the party?:party:

You should definitely be enjoying the swimming this weekend, I know the punch-list is frustrating but at least you are getting wet.

Congratulations, the pool looks great. Look forward to seeing the pics after the landscape and deck topping is completed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.