Bought house with pool - couple post closing questions

Bonk

Aug 2, 2011
Toronto
Hi all, first time posting so forgive me if I ask some potentially dumb questions.

I live near Toronto and we've recently (a week ago) moved into a house with an in-ground pool. This is our first pool so everything is a learning process going forward. The previous owner had already closed the pool mid-Sept and put the mesh safety cover on.

The past week has seen a TON of rain and according to my eyeball measurements, the water level in the pool has risen about 3-4 inches since we moved in. I can't really peek under the safety covers except where it's curled up where the waterfall feature meets the pool.

Should I be concerned about this? The current water level is only about 5-6 inches below the deck of the pool. I assume once the plugs are installed it shouldn't matter if the water level rises? What about the skimmer? It's possible that may now be covered with water, but I'll have to undo part of the safety cover to check and my concern is whether I'll have trouble getting the straps back on after.

Also, would the water chemistry be unbalanced detrimentally by all the rain?

I don't have a relationship with any pool service company yet but I'm inclined to call one up and have them come over the check on the pool. Am I being paranoid? I was hoping to not have to worry about the pool until the spring.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

I don't close my pool so I cannot really advise you from personal knowledge, but someone will be along shortly to give you some insight and maybe some suggestions.

If it's a liner pool, don't sweat it.

If its a concrete with a tile line, the water level in the pool needs to be kept off the water line tile. An automatic pump on the 1st step or deep end swim out step (usually better here) and a hose line enough to run the water well away, down hill, away from the foundation of the house and not cross any walkways or the drive way is best.

Scott

Thanks for the quick welcome and replies!

Yes, it's a vinyl liner pool. There's the potential for more rain in the coming days and of course early winter snow melt topping up the pool even more in the next couple months. So even if the skimmer is covered I shouldn't worry about having to drain it some? I'm not even sure how I would drain it since all the equipment has been winterized.

Owning a pool is both exciting and scary at the same time for me right now. I just wish I got the house at the start of pool season rather than at the end!

Bonk said:
I'm not even sure how I would drain it since all the equipment has been winterized.

Those with winterized plaster pools will typically keep storm water from causing their pool water levels to rise by the use of submersible pumps that are designed to kick on when a certain water level has been reached.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.