replacing main drain covers

Feb 25, 2011
Dallas Texas
One of the screws is stripped out on my main drain inground pool cover.....and it keeps popping up on the one side.
here is the cover (two in the bottom of the pool) I've got...

http://commercialpool.com/sta-ritemaind ... -0741.aspx

It is very difficult to work under water to repair this....

I was told that there are 4 sets of holes in the rim of the part that is in the pool that the cover screws to and that the cover can be rotated to the next set of holes if need be...

What are my options for repair or replacement ?? ...call someone who has tanks to do underwater pool repair or ??
I live in the Dallas area...

Thanks for your help..

If completely draining the pool is out (and I discourage that to begin with) then hiring a diver is the right thing. If the other set of holes are already stripped, nobody, short of a Polynesian oyster diver will be able to hold their breath long enough, not even Melt. I have to assume you're not a certified scuba diver or we wouldn't be seeing this question.

Scott

Well, you're clearly Polynesian MITS. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, how deep are we talking here? 6 feet or less, I would think one could do fairly easily with a mask and deep breaths. That is, unless your pool water is cold like mine. I ain't getting in mine, even if the drain fell off, until next year when it warms up.

When I worked in a dive shop years ago, I knew many Divers who would do something like this for fun. No training or knowledge is required, so you can trust most divers to do the job right.

I would go to a local dive shop, and ask the shop owner if he knows any Divers that would tackle your job. You might just find a customer in the shop who would jump at the chance to get wet for a case of beer.

Its a small pool 8,400 gallons and the drains are around 5 to 5 1/2 ft deep.....

I may warm up the water a bit or just wait till next year when things heat up again.....not sure at this pt.

The only bad thing is, is that I cannot use my "THE POOL CLEANER" because it gets hung up on the cover that is not fastened down...

turned the heater on this morning......went out to get some more stainless steel screws....one screw was bent....replaced with the next larger screw (from a #6 to a #8)...

the other screw well even bumping up the size from a #6 to a #8 it still was stripped out so I put in a plastic insert...like the kind you put in drywall .... tapped it into the hole a few times and used a #6 in that hole....unbelieveable as it worked great... the screws tightened up and held securely...

other than being a bit cold I was very happy to have fixed it....thanks to all..

Reactions: Ignoramus

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.