Not sure about pH reading?

alanrmeadows

LifeTime Supporter
May 5, 2010
I own a 17,500 gallon inground fiberglass pool in South Arkansas. Due to the cooler weather, I've been slacking with my tests. The other day I decided to test my pH and I got a very reddish color...one that doesn't fit into the color spectrum on the test vial. I assumed my pH was extra high, so I started adding muriatic acid. To make a long story short, I've added almost a full jug (the one from Home Depot that comes in packs of 2) and I'm still getting that same color. Is it possible that my pH is still high and I need to continue adding acid, or is there something else throwing my test completely off? I've never had this problem before and have always gotten a reading that falls within the color spectrum.

Thanks,
Alan

What is your FC level? When FC is around 20 or higher the PH test result can be completely invalid. PH results can also be somewhat off when FC is between 10 and 20, but above 20 PH results are completely useless (and strangely colored).

I got a full set of results this afternoon:
CYA 50
TA 110
FC 4
CC .5

And I'm still getting that unrecognizable red color on my pH test...and I've used one full jug of 20 Baume 31.45% Muriatic Acid from Home Depot. I'm really lost on this one?? Any ideas? I'm not sure if I need to continue to add MA?

Thanks,
Alan

Why not scoop up a plastic pail of pool water and add a little acid at a time to see if you can get the colors into the normal range. That'll give you some confidence that you are applying the right chemistry....just not enough of it yet.

The pH test is pretty reliable if your testing chemistry is OK. It's been kept out of the sun, right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.