Water ABOVE the jets for closing?

skali

May 26, 2009
Our winter pool cover is heavy duty vinyl (like the liner itself) and it has an edging that fits tightly into the coping of our pool liner/deck. I believe it's called a "lock-in" cover.

The fellow who put it on for us in past years is no longer in town, so we have a new pool company. Long story short: They've been here three times and the cover still isn't on.

Now they're telling us that (after 7 trouble-free years) the cover has "shrunk" and that's why it won't fit into the coping. (My opinion is that one person simply cannot put this cover on by himself.)

He is telling us that to get the cover on, we have to increase the water level in the pool so it can float on the water.

They have instructed us to raise the water in the pool a good 3-4 inches ABOVE the return jets. :shock:

I am VERY reluctant to do this for fear of damaging the jets/pipes. (We live in Canada and it's an inground pool with a SWG.)

Is it dangerous to leave the pool all winter with the water above the jets? Any thoughts?

Thanks for your experience/insight!

If you use winterizing plugs to plug the return jets, you can raise the water level and not be concerned.

What was the water level last year when the cover was installed?

You could always raise the level until the cover was installed and then lower it again.

Ah, those covers... Those are the fun ones. I'm glad I only have one customer left with that type of cover (it's an above ground so it's not that bad). Yes, the cover does shrink every year even when stored in it's cover keeper (ahem... brute garbage barrel filled with water). Regardless, the shrinking is probably only part of the issue; doing it alone would be a big pain. Like Bama said you can raise the water level without fear as long as they winterized everything properly. Actually around 90% of the return lines I winterize are below water level when I cap them.

Thanks BUNCHES for the info!

This is our fifth year with the pool (it's 7 years old) and while the cover is a BEAST to put on, this is the first time there has been any problem like this. And it's the first time we've been told to raise the water above the jets. In the off season (aka: winter) maybe I should look for an alternate style cover!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.