Pool Heater - What is normal operation supposed to look like

Jun 20, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm back with another question, this time my pool heater! It's getting cooler and we're starting to think about heating the pool and using the spa more often.

When I turn on the spa, the jets blow hot water, then it cools off, then hot water again and this cycle continues. Is this normal operation for a pool heater? The system is currently set for 104 degrees.

Thanks guys, as always your help is appreciated!

-Tom Woolley

Re: Pool Heater - What is normal operation supposed to look

When I run my spa the heater warms the water to the set temperature and then shuts down. The water circulating in the spa starts to cool and once the water gets about 2 degrees below the thermastat the heater kicks in again. Right now with the weather we have it takes about 20 minutes for the water to cool down and then the heater runs for 3-4 minutes.

If you have a lot of aeration, you can cool the water off fast And the heater probably cycles off when it hits target and back on when it drops 3 degrees or so. It could very well be working exactly the way it's supposed to.

I don't turn on the blower nor the booster pump when I use the spa. And I stick an old yogurt lid over the air intake on the spa jet piping; I'm not heating the water up so I can cool it off right away! It heats faster and stays hot longer with fewer air bubbles in the return stream. By the way, when the pump turns off, the lid is no longer held on by the vacuum created in the venturi, and falls off.

No it cycles before the water has even reached close to target temperature. I guess I'm going to have to call the home warranty company again :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.