Ambient temperature sensor

ROB N

Nov 26, 2010
Calera, Al
I am considering adding an ambient temperature sensor on my pool equipment. My question is this a diy job and if so how difficult would it be? I am a diy type of guy and very handy, but have not had experience with this type of device. Is it feasable for me to install the sensor, if not what type of professional should I contact to do the work and about how much would this install cost?

What do you want this temperature sensor to do? If you already have an automation system, they usually come with a temperature sensor, and if they don't it is easy to attach one. But if you don't already have an automation system, you need to specify exactly what you want the sensor to do and figure out how it will integrate with your existing equipment. One common setup would be replacing a mechanical timer with a new timer that includes freeze protection. That can cost around $100 and is fairly easy if you have any experience with AC wiring.

If your timer doesn't have freeze protection then you're either going to need a new timer that has freeze protection or a temperature switch calable of switching the pump on and off. A switch is probably just as costly as a new timer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.