Pool timer stopped working

Weston

Jul 25, 2010
My pool timer stopped working. It stopped turning. It is one of those 24hr round yellow timers. From what I've read online I think it is an Intermatic although I don't see the name on it anywhere. It sounds like it is still working. I can hear it buzzing but none of the gears are moving. I'm guessing the motor has burned out...I guess.

Here are my questions...

I'm running a 1.5hp pump. I am trying to figure out what the voltage is without a meter. Any idea how to do that just by looking at the timer and pump?

Should I replace the whole inside or just the motor?

Where can I get these things? Home depot or lowes or only pool stores?

Any other insite would be greatly appreciated as I am not that technically savvy.

Tried to attach a picture but too large. It looks just like this. Except it's a metal cover not plastic.
http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-T104R3 ... 25&sr=8-15

Thanks,
Weston

It's a pretty easy fix. HD and Lowes should both have the timer and they aren't very expensive.

To figure out what the voltage is look at the pump motor. If you can read the data plate, you can find the voltage. If it lists dual voltage then look at your breaker box and see if the pump uses a single or a double pole breaker to power the unit. If it's single it's 120 volts, if it's a double pole, it 240 volts.

If you just replace the timer motor, you just need to power down. Remove the small white wires and mark which screws they were on. Pull the mechanism forward (there is a little spring clip on the side to free it) and remove the motor from the back. Take the motor to your local Intermatic dealer (find it here:http://38.127.130.174/listing/guide/electrical-distributor Probably 75% of local electrical supply houses are Intermatic dealers. The counter guy will match it and you put it back just where it was with the two white wires on the same screws. You never really need to worry about what voltage your pump is. Just make sure all power to the timer is off.

They put the exact same timer into metal and plastic boxes. Swapping motors is easier and cheaper than swapping timers, but you need a dealer to get the motor. There are 12,000 plus of them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.