When to shock??

I shock if the pool is green, or if the CC level is above 0.5, or if I mess up and the FC level goes to zero.

The "conventional wisdom" on shocking weekly is based on the assumption that you haven't taken care of the pool during the week so you better shock before swimming.

Hehehe.. ok.. My friend shocks his pool weekly and uses aglicide and doesn't do much else. He tests weekly. He also uses hella Diclor and doesn't know why I'm sure.. *shakes head*

:)

Thanks for the info, now know I what to test for.. Once my TF100 test kit arrives.. :lol:

Regards,
Kevin

Shock when the CC is above .5 ppm, after a heavy rain, after heavier than normal pool use, or when the water has a 'chlorine smell' (that's the CC you smell) or looks cloudy.

Ideally CC should be zero but it isn't usually worth bothering getting it to exactly zero. When the FAS-DPD test reads 0.5 what it really means is that CC is above 0 and not higher than 0.5. The great majority of the time it is actually much closer to zero than it is to 0.5. You can also do the test so each drop is 0.2, in which case you want to keep CC at 0.2 or lower.

CC starts being detectable by people around 0.3 or 0.4. So it is possible for the test to show 0.5 and for CC to be a problem. This is very uncommon in outdoor pools, where CC tends to go towards zero because of sunlight, but much more likely in indoor pools.

Shocking is basically for when the pool is green, or perhaps cloudy with a green tint starting to emerge.

If a pool is properly maintained on a regular basis, ideally you should never have to increase FC to high shock levels. Sometimes it can't be helped... like you go on vacation.

rimshaker said:
Shocking is basically for when the pool is green, or perhaps cloudy with a green tint starting to emerge.

Not all the time. sometimes it's a preventative measure, such as doing it after heavy rains or unusually high bather load.

If a pool is properly maintained on a regular basis, ideally you should never have to increase FC to high shock levels. Sometimes it can't be helped... like you go on vacation.
I wouldn't say never but I would say that it's a rare occurance!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.