Adding CYA.......skimmer ok?

induce

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2007
Murfreesboro, TN
I know cya takes forever to dissolve. The pool water is cold and i need to add some cya. Can i just add a bit at a time in the skimmer (basket out) and let it dissolve in the sand filter. It seems i might have dissolved something in a sock once in the skimmer? Help the old guy out......Why did i do that?

Yes, you can add CYA directly to the skimmer as long as you don't backwash/clean the filter for at least a week. Using a sock in the skimmer or hanging in front of a return is handy because then you can backwash/clean the filter any time.

Cal,

No problem introducing the CYA in the skimmer. Done over a few minutes, I've put 12 lbs. in that way. The caveat is to be sure you don't back wash for a good while..........at least a week......you'll push it out of the filter into the gutter.

Now, the sock...........we're you wearing it? We're you wearing anything else? :oops: :oops:

Just kidding!! A very useful application for CYA is to put it in a sock and hang it somewhere in the pool so it can disolve at it's leisure while causing no harm to the pool surface,

Assuming you don't need to backwash for a while, the skimmer is certainly more convenient and just as effective.

Liquid CYA

On this topic, have anyone ever used the liquid CYA? Does it work? What are your thoughts on this? I happened to have received a new catalog from "In the Swim" and noticed the liquid CYA in the catalog. It cost more, but I thought it might be so much easier to pour in the liquid than to wait for the pellets to dissolve.

Thanks!

You can see a cost comparison of various sources of CYA here. Essentially, the Instant Pool Water Conditioner is from 67% to 142% more expensive (so around double or so). Consider that the price for convenience so in 10,000 gallons, you would pay around $6 vs. $3 for every 10 ppm increase in CYA. If you aren't in a rush, Dichlor (which dissolves quickly) is a reasonable alternative and is comparably priced to pure CYA when one accounts for the chlorine one gets as well, so obviously you can't increase the CYA all at once but can do so over time (for every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also adds 9 ppm to CYA).

Richard

Chem Geek,

I've migrated from The Pool Forum to here, but I still lurk around the Pool Forum. It's nice to see familiar names on this site like yours and Water Bear. I believe I've seen both your names from the Pool Forum before.

Getting back to the topic, I've never used Dichlor -- at least I don't think I have. I've always used the white pellets that dissolves. For the past two years, I've used the white pellets and I don't get good results. I'm probably not adding enough. But am afraid to because I don't want my CYA to go up too high. When I open my pool in May, I will give Dichlor a try. Can you point me to the calculator?

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.