Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding CYA.......skimmer ok?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding CYA.......skimmer ok?

I know cya takes forever to dissolve. The pool water is cold and i need to add some cya. Can i just add a bit at a time in the skimmer (basket out) and let it dissolve in the sand filter. It seems i might have dissolved something in a sock once in the skimmer? Help the old guy out......Why did i do that?
    Cal C.

22k ig vl, hayward 2sp northstar, hayward pro series sand filter, aqua logic ps-8 wireless controls with swg, hayward (eus) heat pump, polaris 280 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Yes, you can add CYA directly to the skimmer as long as you don't backwash/clean the filter for at least a week. Using a sock in the skimmer or hanging in front of a return is handy because then you can backwash/clean the filter any time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Cal,

No problem introducing the CYA in the skimmer. Done over a few minutes, I've put 12 lbs. in that way. The caveat is to be sure you don't back wash for a good while..........at least a week......you'll push it out of the filter into the gutter.

Now, the sock...........we're you wearing it? We're you wearing anything else?

Just kidding!! A very useful application for CYA is to put it in a sock and hang it somewhere in the pool so it can disolve at it's leisure while causing no harm to the pool surface,

Assuming you don't need to backwash for a while, the skimmer is certainly more convenient and just as effective.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. I put the cya in a skimmer in a sock and in a day, gone.

Dave, additional points to ponder:

Were you wearing the other sock ? WHERE were you wearing it? Did you make the required elephant noise?
    Cal C.

22k ig vl, hayward 2sp northstar, hayward pro series sand filter, aqua logic ps-8 wireless controls with swg, hayward (eus) heat pump, polaris 280 cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Cal,

Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Liquid CYA

On this topic, have anyone ever used the liquid CYA? Does it work? What are your thoughts on this? I happened to have received a new catalog from "In the Swim" and noticed the liquid CYA in the catalog. It cost more, but I thought it might be so much easier to pour in the liquid than to wait for the pellets to dissolve.

Thanks!
    24 ft. round Artesian above-ground pool
    54" depth
    15,000 gallons
    Hayward 1.5 HP EC45 DE Filter
    Hayward H150 Gas Heater

7. Back To Top    #7
    It works but it's very expensive. I go for cost!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Waterbear. I didn't do the math on how much I would need, so you're probably right about the cost.
    54" depth
    15,000 gallons
    Hayward H150 Gas Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

You can see a cost comparison of various sources of CYA here. Essentially, the Instant Pool Water Conditioner is from 67% to 142% more expensive (so around double or so). Consider that the price for convenience so in 10,000 gallons, you would pay around $6 vs. $3 for every 10 ppm increase in CYA. If you aren't in a rush, Dichlor (which dissolves quickly) is a reasonable alternative and is comparably priced to pure CYA when one accounts for the chlorine one gets as well, so obviously you can't increase the CYA all at once but can do so over time (for every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also adds 9 ppm to CYA).

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

Chem Geek,

I've migrated from The Pool Forum to here, but I still lurk around the Pool Forum. It's nice to see familiar names on this site like yours and Water Bear. I believe I've seen both your names from the Pool Forum before.

Getting back to the topic, I've never used Dichlor -- at least I don't think I have. I've always used the white pellets that dissolves. For the past two years, I've used the white pellets and I don't get good results. I'm probably not adding enough. But am afraid to because I don't want my CYA to go up too high. When I open my pool in May, I will give Dichlor a try. Can you point me to the calculator?

Thanks.
    54" depth
    15,000 gallons
    Hayward H150 Gas Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

There's a great The Pool Calculator that Jason did where you can calculate the amount of Dichlor needed to get to a requested FC level. Just keep track of the amount of FC you cumulatively add, then multiply that by 0.9 to get the CYA level you've added (it's roughly the same so you can just assume CYA = cumulative FC).

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"