Fiberstars Jazz Light

Sep 30, 2011
I am troubleshooting the light in my pool. So far, I cannot find a switch to operate the light. I can only find the circuit breaker. Is this normal? I believe that my light bulb is burned out and today I pulled the assembly out from the pool (niche). The lamp repalcement kit is a Fiberstar Jazz Light, PN J20-2000 lamp kit. My question: Is this unit worth replacing or should I repalce with a unit that you can simply change the bulb instead of an entire lamp kit? I understand that this would require replacing not only a new light assembly, but also one with a long enough electrical cord to run back to the panel.
Thanks in advance.

There almost has to be a regular switch. A breaker is not meant to be used an every day on/off switch and no inspector would allow it.

Bulb changes should always get a new gasket. The Jazz kit comes with one. The lamps for the pool light are usually very durable. A new fixture would cost you far more than the lamp kit.

Since Jazz fixtures fit both Hayward and Pentair niches, if you decide to change fixture types, you can.

Scott

Russcart,
As Scott mentioned, take another look around for that light switch. For about a year, I though mine didn't have one. Then, predictably, my wife saw me turning the light on using the GCFI reset button and said "why don't you just use the switch?" :oops:

I've been searching for the light switch for a couple of weeks now with no luck. It doesn't make any sense to use a circuit breaker (GFCI) to operate the light. I'll keep looking...

I was just wondering if it would make sense and be more economical to change the light fixture to one that has a simple lamp replacement rather than a kit replacement. A lamp fixture replacement as compared to the lamp kit isn't that much more in actual costs, at least from the quotes that I've received from a local pool store. Right now I am leaning towards the lamp kit and see how long it'll last.
Thanks for the comments.

Update:
I opened the sub-panel and removed the inside cover, when tracing the electrical lines I noticed two X10Pro Fixture Modules (XPFM) connected to the load side of the GFCI. I purchased a wireless X10 controller and now the lights operate!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.