What is needed to start up SWG pool this spring?

Nov 17, 2007
Mississippi
Just bit the bullet and purchased a Goldline AquaRite chlorine generator to install on my 20'x40' inground pool that came with a house purchase last fall. I added a chemical closing kit prior to covering the pool with a safety mesh cover (drilling 36 holes in the concrete decking was no fun!) shortly after moving in the new home.

Plan on installing the SWG and uncovering the pool sometime next month. What steps do I need to take in order to begin using the SWG other than the addition of salt? Will I need to get the pool chemistry correct prior to using the SWG? Should I add a start up kit? The system is also equipped with a frog mineral system. Do I need to replace the mineral cartridge in this system since I will be using the SWG? What is the best test kit recommended to keep my water checked?

Also have acquired an Intermatic P1353ME timer to install on the pump and SWG to reduce the operating cost of running the system 24/7. What would be the recommended hours of use necessary to keep a 40,000 gal pool in good condition? What hours should I run the pump and SWG (day or night).

I apologize for all the questions but, being a new pool owner I haven't a clue other than the invaluable info I have read on this forum!

All you really need to startup the SWG is salt. You should always keep the pool chemistry balanced, but other than the salt there is little that is different with an SWG. In some cases you may want to lower the TA a little (I suggest 70-90), since a SWG and high TA will lead to the PH rising, which can be annoying to keep under control.

How long you want to run the pump depends on the relative size of the pump and the pool and the water temperature and bather load. It is also fairly subjective, you run the pump enough to keep the water looking good. I suggest trying 12 hours a day and seeing what happens. If the water quality goes down try longer, if it remains fine for a couple of weeks try shorter.

The TF Test Kit, see the link in my signature, is a great test kit. The Taylor K-2006 is also a good kit, though not as good a deal.

I recommend removing the frog cartridge, though is is not required that you do so. The "mineral" cartridge adds copper to the water, which can cause more trouble than it is worth.

Ask all the questions you want to :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.