Getting picky - how to get pool to sparkle

May 18, 2011
Kailua, Hawaii
Thru this site's advice, I've been very good at keeping chem levels up to your recommendations. I test every three days and typically add 1.5 gals of clorox every 2-3 days and MA every 3 weeks. Water is never cloudy and I don't have any problems. But, and maybe I'm expecting too much, water doesn't seem to sparkle like it used to when I completely drained and refilled pool. It's clear and I can clearly see details of drain at deep end, but lacks luster.

All chemicals are within pool calc recommendations...I stay on top of this. I don't backwash filter that much, maybe once a month.

Is it just my imagination or can the water look, I don't know...dull? And, if so, how do I get it sparkly clean?

Ok...shocked it. Seems to have helped. Test results today:
FC = 14 (is this ok to swim in?)
CC = 0
PH = 8 (will add MA today to lower this)
TA = 75
CH = 275
CYA = 45

Read the sticky note on borates. I guess you're going to tell me it's personal preference, but do I really want to get into this? I thought I read earlier in my pool school classes that this wasn't necessary?

Thx, Ben.

surfhawaii said:
Ok...shocked it. Seems to have helped. Test results today:
FC = 14 (is this ok to swim in?)
CC = 0
PH = 8 (will add MA today to lower this)
TA = 75
CH = 275
CYA = 45

Read the sticky note on borates. I guess you're going to tell me it's personal preference, but do I really want to get into this? I thought I read earlier in my pool school classes that this wasn't necessary?

Thx, Ben.

Borates is a personal preferences. I myself have never seen the need to add them as this is just something else you have to test for and keep up with. Everyone that uses my pool along with myself like it the way it is. So I would say if you have no issues without borates then dont add them. This is just a personal preference to me though and others may disagree with it.

A FC of 14 can give a falsely high pH reading. Let the FC come down to < 10 ppm and then recheck pH. Correct it then if needed.

If raising the FC improved the clarity of your water, then I would claim success. Borates can be sort of useful when additional pH buffering is needed. Pools that are clean sparkle without them though. I wouldn't add borates just for that. That's just me though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.