Should I leave my AGP up all winter or take it down?

Jun 30, 2011
We live in central CA it can get as cold at 30 in the day but i never snows here. Last year we had rain for almost 3 weeks straight but other than that mild winters. I went to two pool stores and one said you must take it down the other said no way you will shrink the liner just get a winter cover. He said keep it chlorinated and keep the pump on it and run it like once a week. So what should we do?

What type/size pool are you talking about? You can really go either way. I live in Fresno, our winters don't require traditional pool closeings. The temps don't get cold enough to freeze. What you do will largely depend on your filter/pump system. It would be difficult to clear algae in the spring with an intex cartridge filter.

Here are my plans for the winter. I will use the pool until the water temp is around 60 for a cold plunge with my hot tub. Pool is currently at 88 with my solar. When the temp drops to 60 I will disconect the pump/swcg and drop the water below the skimmer. If you want to keep the pump out you will have to run it on the few evenings that temps drop below freezeing.

It almost as easy to just drain and refill an intex type pool depending on water and chemical balance cost's. It takes about $50 in salt, CYA, and borates to set my pool up.

If you have a large, professionally installed AGP, I would just close it. However, if it is a small Intex temporary pool, you might be best served in taking it down and storing it.

That is a fairly small amount of water to replace. I would drain it and refill in the spring. Do you have an upgraded pump/filter or the original? The pool store gave you bad info. Intex pools are temporary, the liner will not shrink when you drain/store it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.