new plaster and water

bukzin

Oct 15, 2011
Chico, California
Need some newbie advise.

Our pool is old and was just re-plastered (not sure what product they used)

They sprayed a new coating (plaster?) on it yesterday and said it needs to be 'watered down'
3 times per day. Didn't get any real detail and can't reach them by phone.

Any thoughts on what I should do over the weekend (its Saturday morning now) ?

Bukzin

Go ahead and spray it down as they said. Here is the Pool School article for plaster start up. If the information in the article is different than what the builder has told you to do then follow the builder's directions. Then if there are any problems he won't be able to say you caused it by not following their instructions. Have they refilled the pool yet?

More detail.

The pool is in ground in California. Weather this week is mild (no rain, temps low 50, high 75)

We got no detail from the pool refinishers (well respected local plastering company)

Pool has not been refilled as yet.

Thanks for the help!

Yes I will get photos ASAP

I think what has been done so far is the pool company has applied
just the first coat, not the plaster. (Can't get them on the phone)

Does this first coat normally need water sprayed on it twice a day
for the first 3 days?

Fresh plaster needs to be kept wet. Normally this is done by filling the pool immediately, but it is possible to delay filling the pool as long as you keep the plaster wet for several days and it doesn't get too hot (mid-summer in the desert would be a problem). If the plaster dries out during the first few days it will crack.

From what I have gathered in reading the above posts, I think the plasterer has only applied a somewhat rough "bond" coat that needs to cure and harden for several days before being replastered. It is not the final smooth plaster coat. The plasterer will come back and perform the actual replastering to bond with his first application "bond coat" and then will fill the pool immediately afterwards.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.