Why have a pool cover?

poboy

May 25, 2011
We're getting to the end of our 1st season with an in-ground vinyl pool, and will be closing soon. We don't have a winter cover, as we talked to someone who said they just kept the leaves out with the net until the water froze.

So, I'm wondering what is the primary purpose of the cover during the winter?

We're in Wisconsin and pool will likely freeze almost to the bottom, and then fill up with snow.

It keeps leaves and other debris out, and blocks the view of a fairly ugly mess. Some people don't cover, but winter storms can blow a lot of leaves into the pool if you are in a remotely rural area.

I watched my neighbors wrestle with their winter covers in the spring....so I didn't cover mine at all, for four winters, but the daily scooping of leaves finally made me break down and buy a safety cover. My pool freezes completely over in winter.

End result..no more leaf hunting, liner gets protected from damaging sun in winter..and you open up to a crystal clear pool in spring....I would not get a regular winter cover, thats the reason I spent more money on a safety cover.

I've got 4 maple trees in close vicinity of my pool. I haven't winterized my pool yet, but I still put the winter cover on the pool and continue to run the pump until I do close it. I've got a Loop loc with a attached hot tub. I've been worn out from this past weekend with leaves. Stuck my cleaner below the winter cover and cleaned it to a really clean level and won't open the cover again until next month when I winterize. Certainly don't look forward to winterizing - got a big pond, the pool, a boat and 2 jetskis. Way too many toys and not enough time.

Thank you all.

So if we get a winter cover (I was looking at these ones: http://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/in-gro ... cover.html), what is the recommended size (we have a bump-out step so I will have to figure that out)? Is there a formula based on how low the water is dropped and the amount of overhang needed?

Also, how much cleanup should I expect to do of all the stuff that falls on the cover? I'm expecting there to be quite a bit of water and leaves on the cover. Does the water get dumped into the pool or pumped out? If into the pool, how best to clean up the leaves?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.